Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Thomas McKnight

Wesley Wright

William McKnight-Royal Engineers-No.57774-served in World War 1--From -Portadown.

He won a Military Medal- has anyone access to information re- action and date of award.

PS -he was later murdered outside Cookstown by IRA whilst serving in Ulster Special Constabulary

Wesley Wright..

MM records were destroyed in 1940. You might get a citation from a War Diary but you need to find where he served firstly. There is probably an entry in the London Gazette for the date but a citation is unlikely.

Hi Wesley

As Sotonmate says, no MM citations are available. Your best bet is from the local newspapers.

London Gazette below showing he was in 121st Field Company

page.pdf

Regards,

Graeme

• 3 years later...

Diane,

No I think that is a different family

William's parents were Edward & Rebecca McKnight of Irwin Street Portadown [1911 census], later Mary Street Portadown.

Edward & Rebecca signed the Ulster Covenant in Portadown at different locations, Edward giving the address as Irwin Street,

and a William McKnight signed it at Knocknamuckley just outside Portadown and I think this is William as he was underage to sign the Covenant and may have been recognised locally he has gone down the road, probably with some of his pals, to sign there.

There is only the one William McKnight of suitable age and location in North Armagh.

The family of William are still around and for a long time you could see a website of one of the Orange Lodges [Seago LOL No 26] had a page on it put up by a family member but they had him listed as Royal Irish Rifles rather than RE's. I pointed this out but they didn't seem too impressed he was 'only' an RE.

My grandfather would have served with him in the 121st Field Company. So I will have him on a photo but won't know which one he is.

A photo of his funeral cortege to Drumcree churchyard is used on the cover of the book 'Police Casualties' listing all the RIC/RUC members killed the 1920s troubles.

Wesley, regarding William's MM, the two major battles the 121st took part in were in August 1917 Langemarck and October 1918, crossing the river Lys.

I know various members won awards in these two battles.

Rob