Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC's Campaign for Britain's overlooked war graves

NigelS

Well I have visited the CWGC graves in one of the cemetries in Carlisle and they were kept in excelent condition. Well done

As for putting the Daily Mail on this site ....................(.This might be deleted by our leaders... they do a great job.). All this paper is interested in is not the graves, but to slam and denegrate Local Government. These bodies are dammed what ever they do.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to say that CWGC have agreed today, that there is a need to clear the access to two WW1 war graves in the churchyard that I mentioned in #4, #23 and #25.

Excellent news.

Well I have visited the CWGC graves in one of the cemetries in Carlisle and they were kept in excelent condition. Well done

As for putting the Daily Mail on this site ....................(.This might be deleted by our leaders... they do a great job.). All this paper is interested in is not the graves, but to slam and denegrate Local Government. These bodies are dammed what ever they do.

Richard

Your opinion, perhaps you will kindly detail your objections to the article or indeed take it up with the newspaper. Please post whatever you decide to do so that we can follow progress. You have made the accusation now explain it please. It may have escaped your attention but the Daily Mail web site has consistently featured items of interest to this forum and in fact is the ONLY national newspaper to publish an article about the BL-15 which every other national has totally ignored.

From the article

Originally, the plan had been to erect signs for all 13,000 sites in time for next year’s World War I centenary. So far, permission has been granted for fewer than 900.

I look forward to reading your response

Norman

Norman, why does Richard have to detail anything to you? Drop the sanctimony for a moment. He gave his opinion on Carlisle, why should he bother to follow up to you?

It is sad to see some of the photos posted above. I'm happy to observe in Vancouver and Victoria two large cemeteries with CWGC graves are well looked after. ( I guess i should thank the Daily Fail for that also)

During my research on the fallen of Dawley, I was pointed in the direction of a small local cemetery that was no longer in use after the Church had been sold and converted into a house and within it's cemetery were private gravestones too two ex servicemen, one of which was a soldier who won the DCM & MM in the 1st war only to be killed shortly after enlisting in a Home defence battalion in WW2 in a traffic accident.

Through contact with the local CWGC via the British Legion it was arranged to have CWGC headstones to replace the private headstones (No surviving relatives could be traced) which had both fallen into disrepair.

It was quite a moving moment when the CWGC headstones where in place and a short service was held over them by a local vicar with BL standard bearers in attendance and the last post was sounded.

Dave