Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A British immigrant in the CEF - one story

Canadawwi

Hi!

I have nothing for Yates at the moment, but I will keep checking in the future for you. Best regard, Marika

Hi Marika,

I have the following medal groups to 1916 casualties:

KIA or DOW:

A-4203 L.Cpl.Cecil Smith,3rd Bn 2 July,1916

20602 Cpl.Cyril A. Clack, 10th Bn 11 May,1916

59463 L.Sgt.Frederick W. Hie, 21st Bn 22 Sept.,1916

66016 Pte.James Ward, 24th Bn 16 Sept.,1916

436507 Pte. Alexander Kerr, 49th Bn 2 June,1916

38151 Pte.Thomas McCranor, 8th Bn 26 Sept.,1916

67331 Pte. Robert B. Donaldson,25th Bn 29 Sept.,1916

138559 Pte. Joseph B. Duffie, 60th Bn 26 Sept.,1916

POW's, all captured at Mont Sorel June 1916:

424452 Pte. Walter E. Carr, 28th Bn

106266 Pte. Ernest A. Hancox, 1st CMR

114132 Pte. William R. Hulme, 1st CMR

100204 Cpl. Thomas E. Eardley, 3rd CMR/1st CMR

If you can find anything at all on any of these men I would be grateful.

Cheers from New Brunswick,

Terry

Hi Terry,

I couldn't find anything on those names, but I will keep the list on hand in case something turns up on the future.

Best regards, Marika

• 4 months later...

Hello Marika,

I've just come across this site. Do you by any chance have anything concerning Lt James McConning Potts, 21st Bn, who died 8 Aug 1918?

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I don't have anything at the moment, but I've noticed a few things.

Have you checked his online attestation here?

He was at Valcartier training camp and enlisted there with the first Contingent.

He worked as a fireman for the G.T. R. (Grand Trunk Railway).

Did you notice that the war poet John McCrae (In Flanders Fields) signed his attestation as Medical Officer?

He doesn't give a Canadian town as a contact. If you know where he was living, I may have a war memorial picture with his name on it.

Best regards, Marika

Hi Marika,

I have Jim's service papers, which as you saw, don't give a home town, and I was hoping you might have a relevant clipping which would give me a clue. He seems to have had a bust-up with his family (or at least with his father), and left England for Canada as a teenager. He sent a couple of photos and some cards to my grandmother (his aunt) which I recently inherited, and I've grown quite attached to him. Yes, I noticed it was John McCrae - made it nice and easy to find out details about his early time in Flanders!

Thanks for taking the time to look,

Sarah

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd post this sample from my collection so that I could let others know that there is a chance that I might have a WWI era article on a British immigrant to Canada. I have thousands of such clippings as posted below, and I keep them on my pc sorted alphabetically by surname. Feel free to send me an email through this forum and I can always check to see if I have something.

This tragic story refers to Pte. Henry John Phillips, 916737, 2nd Mounted Rifles, British Columbia Regiment, CEF. He left Toronto with the 198th Battalion (Buffs) and had been in Toronto just 5 years. He was killed in action on August 8th, 1918. Remembered on the Vimy Memorial. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Phillips, 12, London End, Woburn, Bedfordshire, England and husband of Florence Jessie Taylor of 47, Princes Avenue, Watford, Herts, England. Perhaps somebody is looking for information about this man. His brother Sgt. Arthur Phillips was killed on September 4th, 1916 and was with the British army.

Pte. H. J. Phillips - record on the Canadian Virtual Memorial

Pte. H. J. Phillips - attestation

157412[/snapback]

Hi

I just found your site are you still doing "look ups"? If you are I wonder if I can ask a favour?Could You check up on the following two soldiers.

47028,Pte William Munro Macdonald/Mcdonald,15tn Battalion Canadian infantry,

kia/dow 29/4/16.From Ross-shire Scotland.

724624 ,Pte Alexander Duguid,38th Battalion Canadian Infantry,kia/dow 5/5/17.From Turriff Aberdeenshire Scotland.

Thanks.

regards

Stan

Sorry, I don't have anything on those two men.

I am going through the reports for mid 1915 at this moment, and these include a number of 15th Battalion men. I post here if anything turns up.

Hi again Marika,

Last year I inquired about some of the 2nd Ypres KIA or POW men whose medals are in my collection, and you were kind enough to send me several clippings. Since then I have added some further names, and I hope you may be able to help again. These are all 1st Division men who were KIA, POW, or WIA at 2nd Ypres, or in a few cases at Festubert or Givenchy:

18467 Pte.R.S.Andrews,1st Bn., KIA 15 June,1915

19316 Pte.J.Barnes, 1st Bn., WIA 23 Apr.,1915

10105 Pte.W.J.Bourlet,3rd Bn., WIA 24 May,1915

10806 Pte.H.Othen,4th Bn., KIA 23 Apr.,1915

11395 Pte.J.Price,4th Bn., WIA 18 May,1915

1093 Pte.T.Hall,4th Bn., KIA 23 Apr.,1915

11076 Pte.F.Anchor,4th Bn., KIA 23 Apr.,1915

12881 Pte.E.Price,5th Bn., WIA 24 May,1915

21201 Pte.H.Simpson,5th Bn., WIA 25 Apr.,1915

16632 Pte.W.D.C.Charleson,7th Bn., POW 24 Apr.,1915

16980 Pte.J.Boyle,7th Bn., KIA 24 Apr.,1915

124 Pte.A.R.E.Wood,8th Bn., KIA 24 Apr.,1915

1510 Pte.P.Turner.8th Bn., POW 24 Apr.,1915

20602 Cpl.C.A.Clack,10th Bn.,WIA 29 Apr.,1915;WIA 22 June,1915;KIA 11 May,1916

20140 Pte.W.A.Totten,10th Bn., KIA 22 Apr.,1915

19874 Pte.J.Higginson,10th Bn., KIA 27 Apr.,1915

24358 Pte.H.P.Gardner,13th Bn.,WIA 24 Apr.,1915 (not the Pte.H.Gardner,3rd Bn you checked before)

24534 Pte.W.J.Stonard,13th Bn., WIA 20 May,1915; MM 1919; Died Toronto 16 Mar.,1920

24338 Pte.E.McN.Boyer,13th Bn., POW 24 Apr.,1915

23555 Pte.J.W.D.Mann,15th Bn., WIA 17 May,1915

47170 Pte.A.Andrews,15th Bn., POW 24 Apr.,1915

Whoops, I see you already checked Clack of the 10th Bn., so he can be deleted from the list.

Cheers,

Terry

Hello everybody,

I have a 'remarkable' story as well... . On Tyne Cot Cemtery one can find a headstone with the name "Richard Verhaeghe" on it. He was born in Belgium (Ostend), moved to Canada (Saskatchewan-Saskatoon) before the Great War. In 1915 he enlisted in the CEF. He won a MM in 1916 (Regina Trench) and was later killed in action in Passchendaele on 30/31 October 1917 a a member of the 5th canadian Mounted Rifles (Quebec Regiment). We have been able to track down his relatives in ostend, but they do not have much information. Does anybody know where we can find more info on this man? We are desperatly in need of his photograph for the Passchendaele Archives.

Has onyone access to local newspapers where his photo might have been published? Or does anyone actually knows any relatives of Richard Verhaeghe?

All the info is welcome!

Kind regards,

Jan

Sorry, I don't have anything on those two men.

I am going through the reports for mid 1915 at this moment, and these include a number of 15th Battalion men. I post here if anything turns up.

348475[/snapback]

Hi

Thanks for looking,most appreciated.

regards

Stan

I don't know if you have seen Richard Verhaeghe's attestation - here is the link:

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=Verhaeghe&s2=&s3=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=CEF6PEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=CEF6&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html&r=3&f=G

He was born in Ostend. You can order the entire file through the link above which will include around 40-50 pages. That link gives you the first two pages.

I also noticed that when I went to check for his attestation, there were 3 men with the same last name, also from Belgium.

I then entered ver$ into the search engine and came up with 17 men, and many of these are men from Belgium. Here are the results:

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=verh%24&s2=&s3=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=CEF6PEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=CEF6&p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.collectionscanada.ca%2Farchivianet%2F02010602_e.html&r=0&f=S

Hi Marika,

Thanks for the information. I've already 'googled' Verhaeghe and we found some info (attestation), but no photograph. Further investigation might show us a photo. He won a MM. Maybe there is a photograph of him in a newspaper when he won his MM?

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Marika,

Could you please look to see if you have anything on 418505 Cpl Leonard Harvey Sweetman,42nd Inf CEF,DOW 21/4/16,formerly a resident of Wincanton,Somerset UK.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards.

Stu

Hi!

I don't have anything.

Since he was living in Montreal, I will try to check the Montreal papers next time I am at the library to see if anything turns up.

Best regards, Marika

(Do you need the link to his attestation?)

Hi!

I don't have anything.

Since he was living in Montreal, I will try to check the Montreal papers next time I am at the library to see if anything turns up.

Best regards, Marika

(Do you need the link to his attestation?)

351942[/snapback]

Hi Marika,

Many thanks for your help,it would be very useful if you don't mind checking next time you are at the library.

I already have his attestation,but thanks for the offer.

Many thanks

Stu

• 2 months later...
Guest nrpaterson

Hi there -

Hopefully this thread is still active!!

Can you check for William Scott Smyth - joined the 61st Battalion CEF in Winnipeg in 1915, transferred to the 44th Battalion while stationed in England, killed in action at Courcelette on 25 October 1916? He was in the Fort Garry Horse (militia) prior to enlisting. Any details would be in Winnipeg or Brandon, Manitoba, papers. He emigrated from Ireland to Canada in 1911. Son of Rebecca and John Smyth of Drumahoe, Londonderry, Ireland.

Thanks for your assistance,

Nigel