Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Romania gains and losses

centurion

Can anyone point me at a good source (NOT WIKI please) to quickly get a reasonable view of the impact of the war on Romania? Not the campaigns etc but what were Romania's war aims and how far at the end of the war (treaty of Trianon) had she achieved, under achieved, exceeded them. What in effect was the profit and loss statement? I'm not looking for massive detail but I'd like to include the impact on Romania for the sake of completeness in something I'm working on.

Thanks - however I already have quite a bit of material on the campaigns side in various histories. What I can't find is much on what Romania expected to get out of the war, what she actually got out of it and the economic, social and political costs. I suppose it could be summed up by asking "was Transylvania worth it?"

Thanks - one of those although written before Romania's re-entry into the war does contain sufficient to make the argument (although I need to take into acount it's by a Romanian diplomat doing some special pleading and one can hear the strains of the sobbing violin in the background!

books:

The Roumanian Battlefront in World War I Glenn E Torrey

The last Romantic Hannah Pakula ( A bio of Queen Marie of Roumania)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks - however I already have quite a bit of material on the campaigns side in various histories. What I can't find is much on what Romania expected to get out of the war, what she actually got out of it and the economic, social and political costs. I suppose it could be summed up by asking "was Transylvania worth it?"

Centurion;

Have you ever been to Transylvania? Scary!

I don't know about Romania, but I recently profited from the fighting in this area. A few years ago I sold a small building to a young Turk, and I knew him slightly, and at the end of the deal he threw in an additional $60,000 for me. To his surprised real estate agent he said: "I am doing this because this gentleman knows more about Turkish history than I do." But what he meant was that he knew that my father volunteered to fight at Gallipoli, and put on civilian clothes and snuck through hostile Romania with false papers to fight in the Turkish 5th Army, and that in 1922 he was running guns from Berlin to Turkey when the Greeks were invading and no-one would give the Turks "the time of day". How Romania did I can't say.