Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli and 2nd South Wales Borderers

Jim Hastings

Good morning all,

Just wondered if any Gallipoli- interested members have the 2nd SWB War Diary for their time in Gallipoli, not that I am asking for a look up just how detailed it is, please? I'm looking into an old comrade's relative who was with 2 SWB in China and Gallipoli and was wounded at Scimitar Hill and would just like to know if the WD has much info, as the half dozen books I have on Gallipoli scarcely mention 2 SWB

Alternatively, does any member know of a book about 2 SWB in Gallipoli, memoirs etc? We are planning to get to the museum in Brecon and have been in touch with the archivist.

Appreciate any guidance/direction

Many thanks

Jim

HI Jim

This may have already been consulted by you in your look ups of other books, but I have a copy of CT Atkinson's regimental SWB history. Any good to you for some look ups?

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

No that is one I have not looked into yet, any chance you could have a look to see if it mentions 9841 Sjt/WO2 Archibald William Matthews at all please, know a bit of a long shot? Really appreciate it if you could, plus any details of Scimitar Hill?

Many thanks

Jim

Just wondered if any Gallipoli- interested members have the 2nd SWB War Diary for their time in Gallipoli, not that I am asking for a look up just how detailed it is, please? I'm looking into an old comrade's relative who was with 2 SWB in China and Gallipoli and was wounded at Scimitar Hill and would just like to know if the WD has much info, as the half dozen books I have on Gallipoli scarcely mention 2 SWB

The Kew Catalogue Reference is: WO/95/4311 Image Reference:409

The whole of the file relates to the 2nd SWB at Gallipoli and there are 179 pages in pdf format

August 1915 is on pdf pages 71 to 93

As far as I remember this is not an expensive down-load

Thanks Michael, sounds detailed enough for me and our needs, just been wary of Regular Bn WDs after I downloaded one and the entry for 1st July 1916, when they were virtually annihilated, didn't even reach a full line

I'll download it now

But if anyone does come up with anything on Matthews on their travels (he was the Bn Drum Sjt) I'd appreciate any info

Thanks again

Jim

Jim. It is quite detailed. The regular battalion war diaries of the 29th Div were the most detailed of all the Gallipoli War Diaries by ten country miles. You will not be disappointed. I have transcribed it. I also have the History which is pretty good in terms of detail. Transcribed too. For some reason the regular Welsh battalions were rather good record keepers. Ping me a PM if you need more detail.

MG (West Sussex)

Evening Martin,

That is excellent news, thank you, especially as I have some interest in 2nd RF too, Do you know whether that level of detail carried on when they went to the Western Front because although Matthews was wounded at Scimitar Hill he did continue with the Army after the war (became SWB Drum Major), so he possibly served out there after his wounding (the wound left him with a limp, but we are not sure as of yet if the limp developed years later, after the war, as a result of the wound)?

Thanks again Martin, appreciate your expertise

Jim