Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J C Cox conflict between SDGW and CWGC

Tank

I'm intruiged if anyone has found any conflicting information between SDGW and CWGC in their own research.

I'm researching a JC Cox on the Memorial in St Denys Church in Ibstock. The SDGW has a John Charles Cox born in Ibstock - which is a good start - serving with the Army Service Corps reference M2/266466 died on 7th September 1918. So far so good.

Struggling to find his parents, I went on to CWGC which has John Charles born in Burton Overy, although it's still in Leicestershire, it's the opposite end of the county.

An initial look at Ancestry points more to CWGC being correct but it still makes me wonder why some from the south of the county is remember in a little village church in the north - but then the local mines attarcted a lot of people from outside of the area.

Cheers

Tank

Try to find him on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses (Ancestry or Findmypast) for his parents.

On Freebmd, there is only one John Charles COX bori in Leicestershire, in March quarter 1884, and the registration district (Billesdon) covers Burton Overy. But there is also a John Charles W COX born March quarter 1882 in the Bingham District.

It could be that a member of his family moved to Ibstock and when the local memorial was erected asked for the name to be included. There are other discussions on this subject on the forum as to why some men are named on memorials far away from where they lived. It is often through a family member. Check the 1911 census for Ibstock and the rate books if they survive, but be aware that it can be an aunt or a sister under a different name.... On the Bexleyheath Memorial (Kent), that I studied with my husband, there are a Frenchman from Britany, and one Englishman from Hammersmith, the other side of London. The wife of the first and the father of the second lived in Bexleyheath around 1920-1922 when the memorial was erected. See www.bexley.gov.uk for war memorials project.

Also he could have been born simply John and have taken the name Charles at confirmation.

I hope this helps.

I had a little look at CWGC and SDGW, specifically at ASC/RASC, and he isn't the only one where the place of birth doesn't match. It does seem a specific statement being made, hopefully if the wider audience sees this thread we might get an answer.

There are 8 (eight) families on Ancestry who have this man on their family tree all giving the same parents names - Robert and Mary Ann (Mattock). Ralph.

Good Morning Tank,

I've always worked on CWGC being more reliable than SDGW, but could be proved wrong.

Did Chris let you have the Ibstock 1918 AVL information?

John Charles Cox a resident of 109, High Street, Ibstock.

Regards.

Llew.

Over the years I have looked at over 5,000 K.S.L.I. men who lost their lives, and have come across lots of conflicting information between SDGW and CWGC. In the early days I found in hard to except but now take it as course that conflicting information is part and parcel of research.

Many thanks to all for replying - an interesting thread for future reference - but I had come down on the side of CWGC in the face of the Ancestry evidence, especially as so many families moved into the area for work (my own included).

Llew, I'm afarid I haven't heard from Chris in a while and am duly concerned, especially as he's been so helpful. Will I find the AVL information at the records office or further afield?

Cheers

Tank

Good Morning Tank,

I transcribed the 1918 AVL information for Chris 3 to 4 years ago, it was at the time when cameras were not allowed at the Leicestershire Records Office. I'll e mail the spreadsheet to you, there are some 290+ men on the list all over the age of 21 and eligible to vote. I've since been back to the records office, cameras now allowed, and imaged the complete lists for Leicestershire & Leicester, so if you need anything, then please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Regards.

Llew.