Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Alexander Wighton Ingles, 1st Battalion, Prince of Wales's (

seaforth78

Does anyone have an officer's group photo c.1913/1914 of this Battalion that would have Major Inglis that was killed in appalling circumstances please?

"The Germans treacherously advanced under cover of the white flag, with stretchers under which machine guns were hidden, and opened fire. Major Ingles called out "All who will not surrender, follow me!" and was shot whilst leading those who responded. Ingles and his men were buried where they fell."

Many thanks!

S78

Just checked The War Illustrated for 1914 but no photo of the Officer there. The books are the bound weekly issue of this publication and they have deceased and wounded officer photos most weeks.

The Major first landed on 9.9.1914 and died on 20.9.1914.

Does anyone have an officer's group photo c.1913/1914 of this Battalion that would have Major Inglis that was killed in appalling circumstances please?

"The Germans treacherously advanced under cover of the white flag, with stretchers under which machine guns were hidden, and opened fire. Major Ingles called out "All who will not surrender, follow me!" and was shot whilst leading those who responded. Ingles and his men were buried where they fell."

Many thanks!

S78

Hello,

There are a number of photo's of A W ingles on the The Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Yorkshire Museums' online archive. Most seem to be pre-war with the 1st (Volunteer) battalion. They have a lot a stuff, so if search through you might find him during 1913/14. The website is a bit temperamental so you have to persevere.

http://pwo-yorkshire.museum/

Mick.

Thank you both. I had found him the other day in the Bond of Sacrifice book (Vol. 1) with a photo and I'm also in possession of the Transvaal War book which has an officers group of his battalion before embarking for the war but unfortunately none of the names are captioned so trying to find an officer with a face like his when nearly all the officer corps is mustached is extremely trying.

I'll take a deep look at the Yorkshire Regt site tonight as I saw several pictures of Ingles as MickLeeds has indicated. Many thanks again.

Whilst I cannot help with a photo

Major Ingles,s medals and death plaque were auctioned at Lockdales with a guide price of £1,700 - £1,800 in May of this year

the price was realised

here

regards Ray

Whilst I cannot help with a photo

Major Ingles,s medals and death plaque were auctioned at Lockdales with a guide price of £1,700 - £1,800 in May of this year

the price was realised

here

regards Ray

Hi Ray, Wish I knew in reverse.

Thanks MikeLeeds, I'll see about ordering those images of Ingles.