Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inniskilling Fusiliers

lee44002

Could someone out there look up an officer of the Inniskilling Fusiliers,

Capt Frederick John Huskinson, KIA 1/6/16.

Would like to know if he appears on any of the lists for the Inniskilling Fusiliers or not, having some difficulty in nailing his service history.

Thanks. Lee

He appears in WO 338 with the long number 18744, but I can't find his service record on the NA catalogue.

post-20576-0-05473700-1383688406_thumb.j

Commissioned into the 4th Battalion.

Phil

He appears in WO 338 with the long number 18744, but I can't find his service record on the NA catalogue.

attachicon.gifF J Huskinson.jpg

Commissioned into the 4th Battalion.

Phil

Thanks for that, any dates? and possibility of a copy of the full page please. Had someone look in NA and they too cant locate his service record, bit of a mystery man, couple of Gazette listings CWG listing and that's about it, and MiC of course.

Thanks . Lee

Lee,

WO 338 is available to download from the National Archives for free. The volume you want is WO 338/10.

Just add to basket and go through the checkout system.

Phil

I found this snippet in the Newcastle Journal 8/8/1916.

BRITISH CASUALTIES - WOUNDED & MISSING. HUSKINSON, Lieut. F. J , PREVIOUSLY REPORTED WOUNDED, NOW REPORTED MISSING, BELIEVED KILLED

Also this in The Briggensian- http://brigg.magazines.s3.amazonaws.com/magazines/1914/christmas.pdf

Last term we lost two of our masters-Mr. B. Heading,

who is now an assistant master in the Archbishop Tenison's

School, Leicester Square, and Mr. F. J. Huskinson, who is

now serving his country with the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

We all miss the familiar figure of Mr. Huskinson, followed

by" Jim." "Jim" no longer frequent the Master's Commons

Room, and consequently Mr. Knight's slippers are quite

intact,

Had you also seen this photo, and information? http://www.flickr.com/photos/97802785@N08/9262098308/

L.G. 1913 - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28710/pages/2725/page.pdf

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28783/pages/9340/page.pdf

Hi

You can contact the Inniskillings museum direct http://www.inniskillingsmuseum.com/trace-a-relative/

I contacted them about my great uncle who was a Pioneer Sgt and they sent me what info they had which included the battalion info and that he had served in the Boer War also. It also had the dates he left for France and the memorial records. Unfortunately his army records did not survive the WW2 bombing raid so are not at ancestry or the NA.

JMol

Many, many thanks to all who have added their expertise to this thread so far, especially Lee. Frederick Huskinson was a teacher at our school before taking a commission, and the school are planning a series of events to mark the centenary and commemorate the pupils and staff who died. This Friday some of the students will be going to the town war memorial, where Mr Huskinson is listed, for a short service. Next year we hope to run a trip to France and Flanders which will include a visit to Thiepval. Having a picture of this man and knowing a little of his story brings the names much more to life. He is our only officer casualty without a battalion or service record, so any other help will be very gratefully received.

Many thanks to everyone, I'll keep digging cos you never know , something else may turn up.

Cheers.Lee

Hello Lee,

Just checked the diaries of the 2nd battalion - a 2nd Lt FJ Huskinson joined them 25th April 1916 from the 4th battalion.

At that time the battalion were in trenches in the Authuille sub sector and in the defences of Authuille itself.

On 1st June there is a record of 14 officers and 700 other ranks being found daily for working parties in the front line and support trenches in the same area.

Ist July references to The Bluff, French St, Johnston's Post.and being in support ready for an attack.

F J Huskinson is listed as wounded and missing in the diary.

Regards,

Ian.

The diary for the battalion and the other battalions of the 32 Div 96th Brig is available to download from NA - ref WO95/2397

Edited - Within this series of diaries are also those of the 15th Lancashire Fusiliers which contain a map of the defences around Authuille which may also be of interest. Other maps of this area have been posted on the forum in the past.

Regards,

Ian.

Brilliant, thanks, more references the better to give us a better picture of his service. Seems his actual service record has gone 'astray' the long number reference gives no return.

Cheers. Lee

That's great Ian. It explains where he was when he died on 1st July, although your comments from the 2nd Bn diary and reading around elsewhere suggest that the battalion did not go forward in the attack on Thiepval. I'll try to find the locations you have listed on a trench map. I was at the Ulster Tower last summer without realising how close we were. There must have been an earlier transfer too, because according to the LLT the 4th was an extra reserve battalion which didn't see active service while Huskinson was wounded at Neuve Chappelle in 1915. The elusive service record would have a story to tell if it could ever be found. Today, students from Mr Huskinson's former school placed a wreath at the town war memorial to remember him and others from Brigg.

As an aside, post 5 mentions another teacher at the school, Mr B Heading. With a name like that I imagine his classes were very well behaved...

That's great Ian. It explains where he was when he died on 1st July, although your comments from the 2nd Bn diary and reading around elsewhere suggest that the battalion did not go forward in the attack on Thiepval. I'll try to find the locations you have listed on a trench map. I was at the Ulster Tower last summer without realising how close we were. There must have been an earlier transfer too, because according to the LLT the 4th was an extra reserve battalion which didn't see active service while Huskinson was wounded at Neuve Chappelle in 1915. The elusive service record would have a story to tell if it could ever be found. Today, students from Mr Huskinson's former school placed a wreath at the town war memorial to remember him and others from Brigg.

As an aside, post 5 mentions another teacher at the school, Mr B Heading. With a name like that I imagine his classes were very well behaved...

A very quick note as I am off the internet for the next week - the diary obviously gives more detail than I have given above and there is a reference to an attack further north on Thiepval from memory but perhaps this is the one that was called off - sorry would look into it more deeply but must dash - Would say the diary is a must!

Regards,

Ian.