Remembered Today:

Lt. G. C. Fitzherbert, MC 2nd York & Lancaster Rgt

Hugh Pattenden

Hi,

I'm doing some research into the following gentleman and was wondering if anyone knows anything of him or where to go for info.

Leiutenant Gilbert Clare Fitzherbert, MC, 2nd York and Lancaster Regiment, killed in action, 18th September 1918.

I have looked at CWGC, School records, London Gazette and have had something from the Y & L Rgt. Museum.

Does anyone have a history of the Y and L Rgt? If so, is he mentioned? Does anyone have a war diary for the 2nd Battalion for Sept. 1918?

Many thanks,

Hugh

• 8 years later...

Hugh

The war diary is available from the National Archives for £3.50 - it's WO95/1610. There are five pages of after action narrative of events but it's too big to email and too long to easily transcribe. I didn't see any mention of Fitzherbert.

I hope this is of help.

Kind regards

Colin

Hugh

LIEUTENANT GILBERT CLARE FITZHERBERT MC (1907-13)

The following is taken from the 1968 Register :-

He was born on 15 November 1895 and was a scholar at Sussex College, Cambridge after leaving

Framlingham.

He joined the York and Lancaster Regiment and rose to the rank of Lieutenant.

He was awarded the Military Cross on 10 January 1917 “For conspicuous gallantry in action. He, with 3 men,

took a torpedo across No Man’s Land and successfully fired it under the enemies wire. He set a fine example of

courage and coolness throughout.”

He was killed in action in France on 26 September 1918, aged 22

from the the society of Old Framlinghamians Here

regards Ray