Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am planning to go at Ypres on 30/11 or 1/12. What i shouldnt miss?

Guest NUKE

I will be in Brugges and since i will have a car i decided to go there as my first battlefield trip.

I like history and especially ww1 for many reasons. I have watched many movies (well yeah), many documentaries and have read many wikipedia articles about ww1. But i want to ask what are the most important sights there.

My understanding is that there are 3 major battlefields in the area. Ypres, Passchendaele and Messines. But i am pretty sure tha i wont have the time to see everything in one day. So what do you propose?

I am really interested to find anything about the Christmas Truce (i think there must be a cross about it somewhere there), anything about chemical weapons (if there is anything there) and Hill 60. Obviously i would like to see trenches, maybe artillery, tanks etc... What are the most significant historical things there?

Finally can you propose anything to read online or not and any good movie to watch about Ypres? I will watch again paths of glory to remember it btw...

Thanks for your time.

Nuke,

I would recommend the Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres , also Hill 60 ( also private museum in the area)....can be done in half a day...

I think that will still your "historical hunger " in some degree...

Regards

If you have just a day, then give In Flanders Fiield Museum a miss - go to the excellent Museum in Zonnebeke as mentioned above: you will be right in the heart of the battlefield of late Sept/early Oct 1917. A five minute drive then takes you to Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Then (and I know a lot of forum members would not agree - used the search facility to search the forum to find several sometimes heated debates in the past :whistle: ) - go to see the "preserved" trenches at Sanctuary Wood: you needn't spend too much time in the museum here unless you like rusty metal. A few miles south will take you to the Messines Ridge and the Pool of Peace. Take time to study the view from there across to Ieper, and the whole of the struggle for the horseshoe of gentle slopes that form the salient makes sense.

[There are preserved trenches near here (you have to pay in Messines) if you want to give Santuary Wood a miss],

That should take about a day - if you have time you can then go to Ieper and catch the 8pm Last Post at the Menein Gate.

William

Hi Nuke

I have always found that the battles around Ypres are difficult to separate on the ground as the same areas were fought over for nearly four years. However there are sites specific to the 1st Battle of Ypres in late 1914, the 2nd battle in April and May 1915 (the gas attacks being part of this) and the 3rd battle from 31st July 1917 which is often referred to as Passchendaele (although the battle for the village itself was at the end in October /November). If you click on the Long Long Trail tab at the top there is a wealth of information about the battles under "Battles and Engagements".

I've just checked sunrise and sunset times for 1st December for Brussels which should be roughly correct and you have daylight between 08.23 and 16.40. From experience I find that you are able to get to see about a half of what you plan for. Maybe you could make a list of places which are must see and then a reserve list of nice to see. I would also think it is worth planning a trip for good weather (cemeteries and viewpoints) and bad weather (museums). I will try and think of some suggestions but all of the previous posts sound good to me; although the preserved trenches maybe should be on the good weather list.

There is a memorial for the Christmas Truce; it is a small wooden cross near the village of St Yvon just south of Mesen(Messines) on the edge of Ploegsteert Wood close to Prowse Point Cemetery. This might be a bit far south unless you want to see the Messines battle sites. Will you have satellite navigation in the car?

Finally there is a Canadian movie called "Passchedaele" which was made by an actor called Paul Gross and released in 2008, however I've not seen it so I don't know how good it is.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Pete.

• Admin

For the Christmas Truce, park at Prowse Point CWGC cemetery, the cross for the truce is adjacent. Chemical warfare try the Carrefour de la Rose (17 in the link) and Vancouver Corner (57 in the link)

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/ypres-salient-monuments.htm

Michelle

For the Christmas Truce, park at Prowse Point CWGC cemetery, the cross for the truce is adjacent. Chemical warfare try the Carrefour de la Rose (17 in the link) and Vancouver Corner (57 in the link)

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/ypres-salient-monuments.htm

Michelle

Nuke, Michelle is quite right as ever. The road past the Christmas Truce memorial is single lane and is sometimes quite busy as it appears to be a shortcut for the locals. The Christmas Truce happened at many locations but this is the only memorial I know of.

The Flanders Fields museum in Ieper does not seem to rate highly with some members. It was updated a few years ago. My recollection is that for someone without much knowledge of the campaigns in the salient, it has much to offer. If the weather is clear the view from the Tyne Cot cemetery toward Ieper allows an appreciation of the area and the importance of the low ridge towards Messines.

Old Tom

The Passchendaele Experience Museum at Zonnebeke is by far the best museum in the area, in my opinion.

I have to agree! I have visited this museum twice in the past two months. E7.50 entrance is very reasonable in my opinion. There is the original part of the museum housed within the chateau which includes a mock dugout, complete with sound effects. Prior to July 2013 visitors would leave this mock dug out and return to the reception area of the museum, but, now one continues into a new part of the museum larger than the main house section which is built underground.

Outside there are reconstructed German and British trenches which although one are cleverly designed to face each other with a small section of no mans land.

Plenty to see here. I would also stop of at the Chateau at Hooge where for a small donation you can see what were original trench lines around the flooded remains of a crater there.

Mc

Having recenty returned from my 3rd visit, I can echo previous comment regardng the Passchendaele Experience Museum, its is excellent. The other place I found this year for the first time was Caterpillar crater near Hill 60, worth a visit if you have time, but a definite must is for the last post in Ypres.

Unmissable! :thumbsup:

YES.. and hope for good weather, as the park around it is also beautiful ...

You might want to look out for a bear walking around, peeping out of a backpack ... his donkey (me) is maybe taking him out to another trip that WE...

M.

I think that will still your "historical hunger " in some degree...

Don't bet on it. If your anything like the rest of us you'll be going back for 2nd's, 3rd's 4th's......................and still be hungry for more. Have a good visit. :thumbsup:

A small but important memorial can be found about half a mile from the Brooding soldier heading towards Zonnebeke. It tells us that Pte Stephen Henshaw of the O&BLI lay wounded on the battlefield here for six days before being brought in. Sadly he died the day after being found. One of so many.

John

Just an aside, but have you researched any of your great or grandparents military involvement in WW1?

It might be worth a check on the CWGC website for any of their Surnames to see if one of their brothers etc was a casualty, especially if near where you likely to visit.

Sorry, but you'll soon be hooked!

• 2 weeks later...

So it's official... barring extreme bad weather on sunday, the Bear is taking his donkey (me) for a walk, starting and returning from train station Ypres (0930) and probably towards Zonnebeke museum and coming back via Hill 60 and Zillebeke.

greetz,

post-84394-0-01846600-1385493936_thumb.j

in case someone looked for the Bear... it's donkey overslept on sunday... :unsure: so no trip to good old Wipers!!!

MM.

Tommys Bar in Pozier is a wonderful opportunity to see a Museum plus constructed WW! Trenches with artifacts from nearby farmers.I'd recommend this to anyone after visiting Theipval.

Try Googling Christmas Truce Football Match including the 'Liberation' of a Hog (From Stinking Farm I suspect) where the 6th Btn Cheshire Regiment held a Hog Roast.