Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC headstones in Co. Antrim, N. Ireland

larneman

Hello one and all,

Is there a list of which Graveyards in Co. Antrim, N. Ireland contain CWGC headstones. I always try to visit such graveyards when passing through or visting the area.

I do so here in the Netherlands but in my area they are all WW2. I have gathered from dutch friends that in Rotterdam I will find some WW1 headstones.

Liam

Liam

The British War Graves Project have access to such lists. They have a site on the Internet and there are email addresses for officials on it. They might be prepared to help you. It would'nt do any harm to ask.

What is your connection with Larne? 'Larneman' seems a little strange for a Dutchman!

Regards

Carninyj

Hi Carninyj ,

I was born and bred in Larne Co. Antrim but moved to Holland in 1974 to work in the Steel Industry, now part of Corus. In 1966 I was busy with a WW1 projected connected with my Great Uncles. Have been to Verdun and the Marne and different places in Belguim since 1974 and run a Co. Antrim Forum and Genealogy/History mailing list for Co. Antrim since 1991. Now I want to start researching the war dead of my home town. I always found the War Memorial an interesting object as a child in the early 1950. It stood central in the town and I passed close to it nearly everyday. The long lists of names but no dates or places. Did they all die at once or in different places. A childs mind is a simple thing. Later I thought they all died on the first of July 1916 with the Ulster 36. I learned in the 1990 that one of the dead was my GreatUncle Frank. Now I would like to know who the others were. One I now know is the GreatUncle of my best friend and so it continues.

Hope that this is not "too"offtopic.

Liam

Liam,

Good to hear from you. I'm about Larne now and again myself.

I'm pleased to hear of your interest in the war memorial and that you intend to do some research on the men. Some years ago someone told me that a couple of young unemployed people got some kind of funding to do research on it and that they produced a document of some sort. I don't know if that's true, but it might be worth your while checking with the local studies people in Larne Library or with the local history group.

Dr. David Hume, who started life as a reporter with the Larne Times, also produced a list some years ago - I have a copy somewhere - of the UVF men from Larne, many of whose names will be on the memorial. It gave their addresses/UVF Companies, etc. If you want it, I'll look it out for you.

Don't forget the memorial tablet in Larne Grammar School. I can tell you who some of them are, e.g. Captain John Griffiths of Cheshire & 2 Lt McCluggage were respectively teacher and pupil of the school. I have a photo of the 12 RIR officers and they are both in it.

Regards

carninyj

Hello again carninyj,

David has been promising me a copy of that list for the last 2 years. If you can find it I would welcome it. David also informed of the research that had been done but the Larne Library or with the local history group do not have copy. He thought the Museum in the Old Carnigie Library had a copy but it was closed on my last 3 visits to Larne for repairs or such. He also would try to get a copy of that research as well but he is a busy man and even more busy with his Ballycarry projects and his new job. I started this many years ago because I got interested in the Larne men who are not named on the War Memorial and the fact that not all the people who went to war from Larne served in the Ulster 36.

I did not know that the Grammar also had a memorial. I know St. Cedma's behind the new location of the War Memorial has a one, but it was also closed or locked when I visited it and it's graveyard. Even tho the War Memorial is now situated in a nice park, which is always empty when I visit or pass along the elevated highway next to it, I prefare its old situation opposite the now demolised Latharna Hotel. It belongs in the middle of town life. Just my thoughts...

Liam

Hello Liam

I agree totally about the location of the war memorial. I would like to see it in a more prominent place.

I don't know what's happening to the Carnigie Library but if it's open, or opens soon, I'll phone/call and see if I can find out about the research done. I have the Larne Grammar list and the article on the Larne UVF at work and will try to find it in the next week or so.

Regards

carninyj

Hello Liam

I was in Larne today. The Larne Grammar Memorial, 1914-18, has the following names on it and all except Pierre Bodelle, as for as I know, are on the Larne town memorial.

1. P Bodelle: Pierre Bodelle, 1911 (school?) census records an 18 year old Roman Catholic from France attending Larne Grammar School. I can’t find him in the French equivalent of the CWGC.

2. H W Carson: Major Herbert W Carson, Royal Army Medical Corps, died 12 October 1918, buried Syria

3. J A Carson: Captain James A B Carson, Royal Army Medical Corps, attached Royal Air Force, died 9th August 1918, buried Cairo

4. H H Dunwoody: 2 Lt Hugh Henderson Dunwoody, 10th Bn., attached 9th Bn., Royal Irish Fusiliers, aged 26. died Monday, 31st July 1916, youngest son of Robert & Eliza Ann Dunwoody, 92 Hollywood Road, Strandtown, Belfast.

5. J Foster: Lt John Foster, 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles (Saskatchewan Regt.), died 9th April 1917, son of James & Mina, 1211 Third Street, Niagra Falls, Ontario, born Larne, Co Antrim.

6. A A Gault: 2 Lt Arthur Alexander Gault, 11th Bn, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, aged 28, died 10th October 1918, son of late John Gault & Mrs Gault, Belgrano, Larne Harbour, Larne.

7. J Griffiths: Captain John Griffiths, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, aged 34, a Chemistry teacher in Larne Grammar & a native of Chester, England, died 1st July 1916

8. C Kidd: 2Lt Chester Bishop Kidd or Kydd, 3rd Bn, attached 7th Bn., Bedfordshire Regiment, aged 19, died 3rd May 1917, son of Dr. J G A Kydd & Jessie Bishop Kydd, Shantallagh, Coleraine, Co Londonderry

9. H T F Magill: 2270336 Private Herbert Thomas Ferguson Magill, aged 23, died 6 April 1918, son of Samuel & Sara Whiteside Magill, Larne, Co Antrim

10. A S Mitchell: 2000180 Private Alexander Scott Mitchell, Lord Strathcona’s Horse, died 8th August 1918.

11. T Moore: Can’t positively identify him. You would need to ask a pal for a SDGW look up.

12. A McClellan: 2Lt Allan John McClellan, 18th Bn., attached 15th Bn, Royal Irish Rifles, aged 21, died 1st July 1916, son of William & Flora McClellan, Ballyboley, Ballynure, Larne.

13. W McCluggage: Lt. William McCluggage, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, aged 23, died 1st July 1916, son of Thomas & Annie McCluggage, Ballyboley, Larne, Co Antrim. His cousin, not a pupil at LGS, was 5941 Rifleman William McCluggage, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, aged 19, died 7th March 1917, son of Robert & Jane McCluggage, Carnduff, Larne, Co Antrim.

14. R J Pullin: 41014 Rifleman Robert James Pullin, 4 Bn, 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade, son of William Blackwood Pullin, Glenarm, Co Antrim

15. J Walker: 19275 Corporal James Walker, 12th Royal Irish Rifles, aged 20, died 29th January 1917, son of James & Charlotte Walker, ‘The Laurels’, Larne, Co Antrim

I could, should you be interested, probably identify most of the WW2 ones for you.

I have found the Hume article we talked of. I'll try and scan it and send it to you via this means.

Regards

carninyj

Liam

I've scanned the list of Larne UVF and will paste it in here, if this will allow me. The original was in columns and had a photo of First Larne Church in the middle. The columns didn't run round the photo in a very logical way, but I have put them in the right order as far as I know. The names are as written anyhow.

Lame Battalion Officers

William McCluggage, Lower Ballyboley Road, Lame

Thomas Johnston, Station Road,

J. E. Jenks, Moyle, Lame Harbour

George Thompson, Ollarba, Lame Harbour

Thomas Gettinby, Meetinghouse Street

R.S. Hanson, Gardenmore Manse

G.K. Smith, Kilwaughter Castle, Lame

A 1 Company, Lame

James Bailie, 65 Circular Road, Lame

J. Blair, 6 New Terrace, Lame

Hugh Buchanan, Glynn Road, Lame

D. Ferguson (no address)

George Fullerton, 132 Main Street, Lame

Samuel Fullerton, 132 Main Street~

James Henderson, 51 Mill Street

D. C. Kane (no address given)

N. Kirkwood, 16 Mill Street

Robert J. Mackey, 74 Circular Road

Thomas Miller, 10 Newington Avenue

J. Curry (no address given)

William McKeen, Glynn Road, Lame

Alexander Owens, 31 Point Street

Thomas Owens, Point Street

Ephraim Robinson, Mill Street

Samuel Robinson, 37 Curran Road

Robert Simms, 57 Main Street

James Walker, The Laurels, Lame

J a m e s Weir, 9 Coronation Terrace

Matthew Weir, 9 Coronation Terrace

W.J. Weir, 9 Coronation Terrace

A2 Company Lame

R. Agnew, 12 Old Glenarm Road

William Agnew, Mill Street

William Austin, Meetinghouse Street

W J Campbell, 20 Thornlea Terrace

J.H. Carmichael, 27 St. John’s Place

James Clarke, 6 Millbrae

Horace Clements, 34 Pound Street

Joseph Craig, 21 Mill Street

Alec B. English, 46 Main Street

William Geary, 19 Gardenmore Place

S. Havelin, 16 Pound Street

J. T. Hyslop, 30 Milbrae

T. Hyslop, Meetinghouse Street

A.M. Johnston, 34 Carson Street

W Kirkpatrick, Carson Street

Robert Lynas, 25 Meetinghouse Street

James Manson, 46 Carson Street

Charles Mayberry, 32 Carson Street

W.J. Mills, 23 Carson Street

Alexander McAllister, 57 Pound Street

Alexander McAllister, 75 Pound Street

R.J. McDowell, 6 St. John’s Place

Robert Wallace, Ballymena Road

William Workman, 1 Thorndale Avenue, Lame

Company C (Lame Harbour)

Robert Adams, 4 Castle Terrace, Lame Harbour

J Bailie, Meetinghouse Street

W.J. Bickerstaff, Chelmsford Place

H. Birkmyre, 13 Fleet Street

R. Birkmyre, 13 Fleet Street

Bryce Brennan, 16 Hope Street

S. Bryson, Inver View, Lame Harbour

William Campbell, 5 Fleet Street

Norman Canning, Bonavista Terrace

Joseph Connor, Bank Quay, Lame

J. Crooks, Newington Avenue

Allan Gardner (No address given)

Richard Gilchrist, 32 Fleet Street

John Girvan, 45 Carson Street

Robert Goudy, 4 Curran Street

Richard Hanna, 33 Bay Road

William Hart, 17 Glynnview Avenue

Robert Hoy, Fleet Street, Lame

John Houston, Portland Street

Robert Hyslop, 141 Old Glenarm Road

George Ireland, 65 Circular Road

William Jenkins, 9 Dunluce Street

John Kitson, 24 Glynnview Avenue

Joseph Logan, 29 Thorndale Avenue

William Melville, 4 Clonlee

Andrew McMurtry, 9 Clarence Terrace, Lame Harbour

John McNeill, 28 Rosneen Terrace, Lame Harbour

J McSeveney, 5 Circular Road

George Noble, 27 Herbert Avenue

Alec E. Owens, Clonlee

John Owens, 23 Glonlee

H. O’Neill, 49 Waterloo Road

Archibald Robinson, 1 Fleet Street

R. Robinson, 5 Ship Street

William Simpson, 1 Salisbury Terrace

Charles Smyth, Fleet Street

William Snodden, 96 Newington Avenue

Jackson Wolff, 8 Coronation Terrace

A. Wright, 143 Old Glenarm Road.

E Company (Glynn)

William Murray, Glynn

Thomas S. McBroom, Glynn

F Company (Cairncastle)

Charles Black, Glenarm

Hugh Blair, Cairncastle

Hugh Dempsey, Glenarm

Samuel Donaldson, Glenarm

William S. Martin, Glenarm

Alexander Mcllwaine, Ballyalbanagh

Isaac Yendall, Glenarm

D Company (Kilwaughter)

Robert Adams, Killyglen

Samuel Lawther, Millbrook

Samuel Lyttle, Browndodd

David McAuley, 67 Pound Street

James McFall, Millbrook

John McIlwaine, Ballyhempton

Samuel McKay, Millbrook

Herbert G. Watters, Ballykeel

Robert Wilson, Ballysnod

G Company (Newington, Lame)

James Bell

J W. CaIdwell, 159 Old Glenarm Road

S. Crawford, 5 Stewart’s Terrace

J Dobbin, 7 Newington Avenue

Hugh Gourley, 3 Waterloo Road

T. Gourley, 3 Waterloo Road

Adam Greenwood, 41 Herbert Avenue

Joseph Hays, 16 Waterloo Road

Archibald Kane

James Kane, 5 Waterloo Road

Robert King, 3 Ship Street

W.A. Magill, 1 Glynnview Avenue

A. Murray, 19 Herbert Avenue

Robert McClure

It was published in the Larne Times, 6th June 2002. You will note that not all names had addresses.

I think I have a photo of some of these. I have one of the Blairs, Weyburn, Carirncastle. Both Stewart and Hugh Blair signed the Ulster Covenant and both went on to serve in the 12th Royal Irish Rifles. I don't know which photo I have, though I think it's Hugh. I also have access to one of Robert McClure - it's signed on the back and shows him at camp in England. They're not mine but I have them on a sort of permanent loan. Would you want them?

Regards

Carninyj

Thank you carninyj,

I have a photo of the 12 RIR officers and they are both in it.

I have one of the Blairs, Weyburn, Carirncastle. Both Stewart and Hugh Blair signed the Ulster Covenant and both went on to serve in the 12th Royal Irish Rifles. I don't know which photo I have, though I think it's Hugh. I also have access to one of Robert McClure - it's signed on the back and shows him at camp in England. They're not mine but I have them on a sort of permanent loan. Would you want them?

I will welcome anything that you want to share. What is the original date of the UVF list, 1912,1913 or 1914. Any idea if they all served.

That is another good tip, searching the Ulster Covenant. Wish we had something like the Canadian Enlistment Site. Have researched many Glens people and my family thru it. Gives the height, colour of eyes, etc. Genealogy and history is more my game but with all the help that I have received from so many, it seems that you only need to ask the "right"question here.

I have finally found one of my WW1 folder containing my Kews notes and Excel files. Also it seems that I have my own copy of the SDGW. Bought many years ago from a Belgian when visiting the Denemonde area. Now to locate the second folder with Larne Times stuff researched at Colinwood. At the moment it is the WW1 part of the memorial that has my interest but if sucessful then it is logical that WW2 will follow.

Again thanks for all this work,

Liam

Liam

I don't know the date of the list. You seem to know Dr David Hume and he would probably be able to tell you where he got the material. It probably isn't complete and I do not know if all the men enlisted. I wouldn't imagine that they all did.

I'd be keen to know if the SDGW gives any indication of who T Moore was. Was he on the Larne town memorial? I'm asuming you have a list of the names.

Regards

carninyj

this site never ceases to amaze me

well done you two for the photo's and the information

Thanks for the pictures.

SDGW:-MOORE John Crawford b. Larne e. Southampton r. Glasgow

SDGW:-MOORE Robert b. Larne e. Shotts Lancs r. Larne

only MOORE WILLIAM on memorial

on the ODSW there are 4 officers

R.I.R 17th Bat died 01/07/16 {could be}

There are 106 in the SDGW. None from Larne area

will get into it tommorrow. It is an hour later over here.

Liam

Liam

I might be able to get hold of a few more bits of information on Larne. I'll see what I can find in the next day or two. In the meantime here is a photo of the Larne Grammar tablet.

Regards

carninyj

post-19-1096354590.jpg

Liam

I was remiss in not giving you the provenance on the back of the Robert McClure photo. It reads:

"This is Rbt. McClure of Larne. HB

Quebec Barracks

Bordon

Hants.

September 1915"

Regards

carninyj

Sorry Liam

H T F Magill: 2270336 Private Herbert Thomas Ferguson Magill, aged 23, died 6 April 1918, son of Samuel & Sara Whiteside Magill, Larne, Co Antrim - forgot to include Lord Stathcona's Horse.

carninyj

Hello carninyj ,

Thanks once again for all this most interesting stuff. T. Moore is remaining a mystery. A couple of my sisters went to the Grammar when my family found it unsafe to continue to travel to their Belfast School. I will ask one of them to make a phone call when I next talk to them.

Liam