Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone error

BillyH

Attached is a photograph of a headstone for a Private in the South African Infantry.

I have this mans service record and he enlisted in Potchefstroom in August 1915 with the S.A. Infantry and was fatally wounded with them at Delville Wood in 1916.

The headstone has the badge of the Royal Navy on it. Is there any possible reason for this?

I find it hard to believe that this error has gone unnoticed for 97 years!

BillyH.

post-41657-0-61812100-1383595197_thumb.j

BillyH,

Someone sent me a photo of the grave of an Anglesey casualty buried on Malta. The stone is shared by three soldiers, and the adjacent chap who was in the East Kent Mounted Rifles has been given a Queen Alexandra's I M.Nursing Service badge...

Clive

was he ever in the Navy ?

I have seen a grave to a chap who transferred out of the Coldstream into the ASC but has a Coldstream badge engraved

I have seen a grave to a chap who transferred out of the Coldstream into the ASC but has a Coldstream badge engraved

As I said, I have his service record (and full family history).

No connection to the Navy whatsoever.

I have notified the CWGC.

BillyH.

BillyH,

Someone sent me a photo of the grave of an Anglesey casualty buried on Malta. The stone is shared by three soldiers, and the adjacent chap who was in the East Kent Mounted Rifles has been given a Queen Alexandra's I M.Nursing Service badge...

Clive

And I thought mine was bad Clive!

BillyH.

Attached is a photograph of a headstone for a Private in the South African Infantry.

That's one of the oddest ones I've ever seen :w00t: - You do wonder how this sort of thing ever got through the production / installation process, though of course this one isn't in a CWGC cemetery so maybe a commission worker hasn't seen it since it was installed. Should look like this -

post-108-0-85073300-1383601025_thumb.jpg

Provided he had transferred and wasn't just attached, the headstone is incorrect.

Tom

An update on this one.

CWGC have already confirmed to me that this headstone will be replaced. I know this may take a fair while to complete but all credit to them for the speed of their response (just 4 days).

BillyH.

And all credit to you for spotting it and reporting it !!

Thanks Stephen,

Any man who received fatal wounds at Delville Wood should at least have the correct badge on his headstone?

BillyH.

Billy,

CWGC are pretty good at sorting errors out.
I noticed a headstone with a mismatch between the badge and the inscribed regiment. I notified them on the Tuesday after I got back. I received a response on the Thursday informing me that new stone would be installed in the early part of the next week.

Last week I sent some details showing they had the incorrect plot number recorded against a casualty, and just this morning I received responses telling me that they would correct it soon.

Cheers.

That's one of the oddest ones I've ever seen :w00t: - You do wonder how this sort of thing ever got through the production / installation process, though of course this one isn't in a CWGC cemetery so maybe a commission worker hasn't seen it since it was installed. Should look like this -

attachicon.gifGWF South African SOLDIER.JPG

Provided he had transferred and wasn't just attached, the headstone is incorrect.

Tom

Private headstone - so there choice I guess

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this one.

CWGC have replied in more detail to my original e-mail as follows :

Further to my email of 7th November 2013 I am able to confirm that a replacement headstone has been ordered for Private Dawber.

I am afraid that we are unable to say, at present, exactly when the headstone will be completed and installed on the grave.

I would explain that preparations for the forthcoming 1914-18 Centenary have meant that the requirement for new headstones to replace aging headstones throughout France and Belgium has greatly increased, resulting in an extension of the timescales involved for production of headstones required worldwide.

We will do our best to get this erected as soon as possible.

If you have any questions in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

I look forward to seeing the correct badge soon!

BillyH.

Such a pity there is no "like" button on the forum

Well done!

• 8 months later...

I thought I would come back with an update on this one, quite a few members of the forum showed an interest in it.

CWGC have now installed a brand new headstone with the correct badge!

A before and after shot is shown below, the new one is not Portland stone, but it is sharper than it looks on the photo reproduced here :

BillyH.

post-41657-0-01483500-1408452236_thumb.j post-41657-0-31644200-1408453313_thumb.j

I find it hard to believe that this error has gone unnoticed for 97 years!

Especially given that it clearly states he was in the SA Infantry! Well done for getting it sorted out!

Good result for sure. I have had a few instances over the past few years to contact CWGC. Each time, they replied quickly and sorted out the issues.

thats a good result. i also have a relative captain albert henry meadows who is also buried at delville wood. i went to visit his grave on 17th aug 2014 and was almost heartbroken when i couldnt find his grave. it was listed as xx1 k 10. i had limited time to find it as i was with a large party of people. i searched the whole of row k and stopped and the grave was right in front of me it was actually k 21. mistakes are easy to make it seems. i will contact the cwgc to inform them of the error

• 7 months later...

Billy

Congratulations on getting the headstone corrected.

I am currently researching for the Diverse Narratives project the 31 Empire (now Commonwealth) soldiers, sailors and munitions workers buried in Cheshire.

From what I can see Private Dawber is the only South African soldier in buried in the county.

I'd be grateful for any information, records, stories or photos that you could share with me. I'll PM my email address to you.

Many thanks for your help.

Harper