Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Coldstream Battalion Please

neverforget

Could anyone help me to identify which Coldstream battalion Pte. Joseph Addison 2922 was in please. There seems to be no clue on his M.I.C.

Not so easy to find out ( for me at least ) since he wasn`t K.I.A.

Many thanks for looking.

He isn't on my roll for the 4th Btn

and cant see him on the QSA rolls, and I have seen the trio on the market at some point

neverforget

You may need to get in touch with the Guards Museum and regimental archivist and pay for a copy of his service records.

The service number may not help - from CWGC there are the following:

1st Bn - 2931, 2980

3rd Bn - 2961, 2970, 2975

Otherwise an in-depth look on ancestry for MICs around his service number may bring further luck but I'd still go for his service records at the best option as he may have served with more than one battalion.

Kind regards

Colin

if you do want his papers send me a PM first

Thanks to you both for getting back to me so quickly.

It`s a shame that the regimental numbers don`t seem to follow any logical or traceable pattern. That would make all our lives easier. I understand that battalions were receiving drafts of replacements throughout, so without access to regimental rolls it would seem that you are right Colin. Thanks.

Thanks for looking for me Coldstreamer. What`s the Q.S.A. rolls ?

I think we must have been posting at the same time Coldstreamer, so I hadn`t seen your offer.

Many thanks, will P.M. you now.

Queen South Africa medal roll

isn't on my roll for princess mary tin so would appear to be in France circa xmas in 1 2 or 3. Cant see on the huge list of 1st btn wounded for sept 1916

educated guess would be 3rd given the early casualties they had

There are pages of Joseph's Pension Record on Ancestry. Army form B175 states 5th Battalion. Discharged due to head injury. Attested 8th September 1899 at Bury Lancs.

Bob

He entered France 11.9.14. according to his M.I.C. so I hope he got his xmas box even though he`s not on the roll.

That`s very kind of you Bob. Could I ask; does it say when he was discharged by any chance ? No worries if not, and thanks for your post.

Again from form B175 the date given 6th October 1915. On the 2nd November 1914 Joseph received a gunshot wound to his hip and side. On 16th July 1915 he received head injuries and concussion at La Bassie .At the time of his injury he was a Lance Corporal.

Bob

A regiment's service numbers were just that ....... soldiers could be posted/ drafted to any battalion, both pre-war and during. Even finding two numbers xxx + 1 and xxx - 1 each side of your man xxxx and both in the nth battalion is a million miles from definitive.

He was 3rd Btn 1st Coy - source is from the original btn notes

engage smug mode :w00t:

Gotta hand it to you o smug one ! :thumbsup: Cheers.

Result !!

Many thanks once again to everyone, and you`re right Grumpy, Regimental numbers are a nightmare.

A huge public "Thank you" to little bob for the information he has taken the trouble to send me on this soldier.

Fantastic stuff, and so very helpful. I have now had a complete picture of Joseph painted for me of the man in question.

I`m very grateful. Many thanks. :thumbsup: