Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Preston and Kirkham Absent Voters List - Norman Harry Shutt MGC

Justinth

Dear All

I would be very grateful if a forum pal could tell me where and whether there is a surviving Absent voters list for Kirkham (plus where it is held).

I am looking for an entry for Norman Harry Shutt who was in the Machine Gun Corp ( his regimental number was 127459) having transferred at the end of 1917 from 3/4th Loyal North Lancashires (a training battalion).

What I would like to know is his unit/battalion which he would have joined in January/February 1918 (we know that he left the army at the end of August/early September 1919). He attested in Preston (and so may be in the AVL for Preston, which I know is in Preston Library) or in Kirkham as his last address is in Kirkham itself.

Thanks to forum pals we have been able to reconstruct his service career up to this point. It is part of a school project to use the lives of the relatives of some of our pupils to help forge a connection with the Great War in their work in History. Our school is in Buckinghamshire.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Best wishes

Justin

With many thanks to the Archivist at the Lancashire Record Office we now know that Norman Harry Shutt does not feature in the Preston 1919 Absent Voters list. Now trying to track down whether an AVL exists for the Kirkham/Fylde district (his last address in the 1911 Census).

Best

Justin

With many thanks to the Archivist at the Lancashire Record Office we now know that Norman Harry Shutt does not feature in the Preston 1919 Absent Voters list. Now trying to track down whether an AVL exists for the Kirkham/Fylde district (his last address in the 1911 Census).

Best

Justin

Jeremy Gibson Electoral Registers 1832-1948; and Burgess Rolls has no surviving electoral registers for Fylde electoral district before before 1921 (in British Library), 1934 in Lancashire Record Office. So unfortunately no AVL for Fylde, although there is possibility that Norman Harry Shutt lived elsewhere in Lancashire by 1918/1919 as he is only listed as a visitor in the 1911 Census in Fylde and the whereabouts of his mother cannot be found in the 1911 Census (she doesn't appear to have died until the 1950s so must have been somewhere) we cannot fix his address (he was 13 in April 1911).