Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Indian Division - dates

paul leeson

Hi

Does any one know when and where the 7th Indian Division first went into combat. I am trying to work out if they would have been classified as 'Old Contemptibles' . Thank you.

Paul

Thanks John for the answer and for sharing your source - a most interesting little book. I think all troops in action before 22 November 1914 can be considered to be 'Old Contemptibles'. So quite a few Indian troops would fall into that category.

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul,

Check out "With the Indians in France" by Gen James Willcocks. Free download -

https://archive.org/details/withindiansinfra00will

7th (Meerut) Division were first engaged on 29th October near Givenchy, (page 73)

John

Hi John,

Thanks for this link, my grandfather was with the Meerut from about 1907 until some time in late 1915, when for some reason he was transferred from 1st to 8th Seaforth. I have the diaries for this time and it makes fascinating reading.

Hazel

Hazel

Was he an NCO ? I can imagine a sprinkling of 'Old Hands' being moved over to a new [young] battalion to help get it into shape quickly.

Or his health may have been suffering from years in India.

Have you managed to find him on the 1911 census?

Paul

Hazel

Was he an NCO ? I can imagine a sprinkling of 'Old Hands' being moved over to a new [young] battalion to help get it into shape quickly.

Or his health may have been suffering from years in India.

Have you managed to find him on the 1911 census?

Paul

Hi Paul,

The answer to both questions is yes, although in the 1911 census (and one of his medals) they have his name as Alexander instead of Andrew. According to the Delhi Durbar roll he was a Corporal in 1911 but some kind of sergeant when he lost his arm at third Ypres. The family story (unsubstantiated) is that he was wounded first some time after arriving in France, and he met my Granny when he was at the Depot in Cromarty in 1915. I think that when he returned to France it was to the 8th, just in time for Loos or just after. (maybe!)

Hazel