Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Gloucesters MM winner Samuel Harrison

KIRKY

Got the WW1 medals for aboves father also called Samuel who was in the Boer War.

Samuel Henry Joseph Harrison was in Gloucesters and awarded MM 28/1/18 and MM showsc his number as 201268 but I cannot find an MIC, The family thought he enlisted in Gloucs with a number 4084 and I have found a Samuel Harrison with the number 40842 which shows his medals were returned as it looks like he was discharged for misconduct?

Can anyone throw a light on his records and why he kept the MM and had to return hisa other medals ?

Tony

Certainly with the V.C. it was made clear by the King that whatever a man later did you couldn't take away the fact that he had earned a medal for bravery and so it should not be forfeit. I would suspect that the same logic was applied to other bravery medals.

His MIC card is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6170372

Craig

Thanks Craig, cannot understand why I cannot find his MIC on Ancestry! spent a lot of time searching yesterday!

Tony

There are certainly cases where ancestry had either indexed the card wrongly or it's gone missing between being indexed by the national archive and by ancestry.

Tony,

There is much interesting information on Samuel Henry Joseph Harrison, and his father Samuel Henry Harrison on a family tree on Ancestry, (if you have not already viewed it) including photo and his father's service record, etc. The tree builder also notes that there is no MIC on Ancestry for S.H.J.H.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/31371/person/-1578050195?ssrc=&ml_rpos=1

Harry

Thanks Harry will have a look tonight!

Tony