Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification, friend or foe

michaeldr

This Bavarian aerial photograph came up earlier in another thread,

http://www.gda.bayern.de/bestaende/viewer/viewer.php?show=/bestaende/palaestina/bayhsta_bs_palaestina_0057

and when looking at it using the enlargement facility to the maximum (see the sliding scale at the foot),

one can see another aeroplane flying well beneath that of the Bavarian 304 Squadron's 'plane.

Can anyone identify the second machine; has the Bavarian photographed a friend or foe?

regards

Michael

edit to add emphasis to mechanics of enlargement

Edited by michaeldr

My impression was also RE8. Slightly raked wingtips, upper wing longer span than the other. If this is Palestine then RE8 is believable.

Many thanks guys

The date is very difficult to make out here, though I think that it is probably 30th July 1918.

Obviously, since they have the developed plate in Germany, then one must assume that the Bavarian 'plane got back all right.

Is there any record of a RE.8 in action that day?

Thanks again

Michael

Could someone please give some indication where on the photo it is - I cannot find it. A BE2e would have the same wing shape as an RE8

Centurion, it's almost centre within the trench outline that looks like a turnip face profile??

Move zoom slide to say half way. It should be clear then.

Could someone please give some indication where on the photo it is - I cannot find it. A BE2e would have the same wing shape as an RE8

The aeroplane is almost dead-centre

Don't move the photograph at all

Only follow the instruction in the op

and beneath the photograph, move the slide up to the plus sign

then, release the slide and the enlarged photograph will automatically come into focus