Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed to Identify Grandfather's Uniform: Zion Mule Corp? ELC

pixit

Can anyone please help identify what uniform our grandfather is wearing in this photograph? The photograph was likely taken in Cairo between 1915 and 1920. He lived in Alexandria and Cairo as a young man. (He was born into a Jewish family in Saffed, Palestine in 1898/1899.)

Our grandfather told stories that he was in the Army-- working as an interpretter/translator and helping the British Intelligence. He said he worked alongside TE Lawrence and knew him. He talked about spending nights in the desert and mapmaking.

I understand that family stories sometimes are embellished...we are just trying to use the stories and the photograph as a springboard to find our grandfather's family history. He came to America in 1921and left everything and everyone behind.

Help Needed to Identify Uniform

It would help us assist you in your query if you told us his name :)

Oops, sorry about that. This is my first posting. (Second attempt--the original posting earlier today had a bit more info.)

His name was Moses Sendler.

Thank you for the reply.

Dear Pixit,

You may find these works on the intelligence war in the Middle East in the First World War useful:

Gribbon, W., and Aronsohn A, Agents of Empire: Anglo-Zionist Intelligence Operations 1915-1919, edited by A Verrier, (London: Brassey's, 1995)

Mohs, Polly, O., Military Intelligence and the Arab Revolt: the First Modern Intelligence War ,Studies in Intelligence, (Abingdon : Routledge, 2008).

Sheffy, Yigal, British Military Intelligence in the Palestine Campaign 1914-1918 (London: Frank Cass, 1998)

There is a newer work but I can't find my reference to it. During the war a Jewish intelligence group, the so called NILI Ring, assisted the British against the Germans and Ottoman Turks. It was led by Aaron Aronsohn. Your grandfather may have had something to do with this group.

Regards

Greg

Are you sure the man in the photograph is Moses Sendler as, unfortunately, no-one of that name features in the National Archives campaign medal records (the Medal Index Cards)? And no-one of that name at all on Ancestry.

While the MICs are not 100%, they're not bad - and so it looks like he wasn't officially part of the army.

In which case, trying to establish the truth of his war experiences will be well nigh impossible.

Perhaps a bit like the modern-day Afghan/ Iraqi interpreters who have struggled for official recognition...

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you for your reply GT,

Yes, I am sure his name is Moses Sendler, and that is him in the photograph. I have his naturalization records etc. (His name has often been misrecorded as Sandler and Sindler throughout the years.)

I was able to find a Pvt M Sindler with the Labour Corps attached to the ELC listed on a Forces of War Records web site. I wonder if that may be him.

I too do not think he was in the actual "British Army."

Do you recognize the uniform that Moese is wearing in the photograph?

Looking at the "Large "sized picture in you gallery, the uniform looks like a British Other Ranks (i.e. non-officer) uniform of the First World War period. It seems to have no rank or Regimental insignia on it, but most don't when first issued.

Steve.

I was able to find a Pvt M Sindler with the Labour Corps attached to the ELC listed on a Forces of War Records web site. I wonder if that may be him.

I too do not think he was in the actual "British Army."

Do you recognize the uniform that Moese is wearing in the photograph?

If he was a private in the LC, attached ELC, then he would be in the British Army.

Once again, there is no record for a Sindler, M or otherwise, in the Medal Index Cards or the wider Ancestry database of British service records. There are a few Sandlers, but no Ms.

Yet a Sindler is listed here right at the top: http://www.movinghere.org.uk/deliveryfiles/JML/1984.125/1984.125.T.p453/1.pdf

All a bit odd really, as the service no. listed refers to two other men - and nothing like the name or units in question. The National Archives catalogue contains only two references of any kind to Sindler - not yours; none whatsoever to Sendler and the few Sandlers previously mentioned.

He's fallen of the edge of the military archives it seems.

The uniform is standard service dress of the period and, without a really good close up of any shoulder titles, doesn't really tell us anything.

Cheers,

GT.

Thank you for all of your replies. I just thought this might be a possible clue to some records. But it doesn't sound like I will be able to find anything.