The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Times Archive Look Up

David_Blanchard

Could some kind sole please look up an obituary / Death Notice for me on the Times Archive.

Name: Margaret Isabel Massey-Stewart

Published in The Times 10th September 1988

Thanks,

David

Thanks for this. Just to say I made contact with the son of Hugh Stewart, who was New Zealand's Official Historian. But more importantly from my own interest his uncle Captain John Hamon Massey was the commander of the 5th Gibraltar Battery on the Aisne, who made the famous stand captured in the painting by Terence Cuneo. He has photos and trench maps that he is willing to share.

The obit. you found was a great help in allowing me to make contact with Massey's nephew. Incidentally, his brother was:

MASSEY, GEORGE HOCKEN Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 27/06/1916 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery "A" Bty. 53rd Bde. Grave Reference II. L. 21. Cemetery CERISY-GAILLY MILITARY CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Horatio Arthur and Mary Judith Massey. Born in New Zealand. His improvements in horse stands were adopted by the Royal Artillery.

Thanks

David

Hi

I researching the soldiers of the village of Brithdir in the Rhymney Valley of Glamorgan and I wondered if you could do a search on Brithdir between 1914-1919 for any articles on those killed in action etc.

Thanks Roy

Roy

As a resident of Wales you can access the Times via the National Library of Wales.

You will need to register

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=63

Once you do that then click on External Sources which will lead you to this

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=otherresourcesa-z#c9489

Click on the + sign next to A-Z and then scroll down to the Times. Then click on the option 'Logon using your reader's ticket'

Hywyn