The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7TH KSLI WAR DIARY

2li

Hi

can any one help with a war diary for the 27 September 1918

and the days events in which the 7th King's Shropshire L.I.,

where involved and the capture of Flesquieres

any help much appriciated, I do have the account from the regimental history but was hopeing

some more info might be found in the diaries

cheers for any help

PHIL

Cheers Glen the last time I looked the 7th K.S.L.I. diary was not downloadable.

Hi Phil

I do have a few rough notes on their attack, but I plan to download the war diary over weekend, so will look at that once downloaded and add anything I have from my notes and pass this on to you.

Annette

Hi Phil

The 7th Battalion K.S.L.I. were holding the front line leading up to the 27th September, east of the Canal from George's Street to Clarke's Avenue, and on the morning of the attack also took over line from Clark's Avenue to the Railway line just north of Havrincourt. The 7th Battalion were in the front line of the attack (zero was staggered due to the right of the British line being more advanced than the left). They advanced to the east, their objective lay between Darwin Alley and the railway line, the left flank taking the Hindenburg Support lines, the company on this flank captured a German officer (the writing is hard to make out but who very he was he told them where the rest of his battalion was and they went and captured 151 of them). The right was held up a bit by a small copse north of railway line but they took it from the flanks. The 76th Brigade passed through the K.S.L.I. and went on to take the right section of the Hindenburg Support lines and captured Flesquieres.

Annette

cheers Annette

can you tell me if there is any mention of gallantry medals given out for the actions of the 27th to the 7th KSLI

All the best PHIL

cheers Annette

can you tell me if there is any mention of gallantry medals given out for the actions of the 27th to the 7th KSLI

All the best PHIL

Hi Phil

Not that I can see (some of the writing is a bit light on some pages). Do you have a person in mind ? if so I can see if I have anything that mite help.

Annette

Thanks Annette

I am trying to find out about a soldier from Church Stretton way, who won the MM., and went on to servive the war

CPL. Hubert W. Green, 19271, 7th K.S.L.I., only have the regi info, and what you have sent, no papers servive only medal card found, not yet had chance to look in the WJSN to see if any mention of his medal

if you have anything would be grateful

cheers PHIL