Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Dannemois

Newspaper article:

Merthyr Pioneer, 9 Sept 1916, Missing: Pte. D. Sullivan (17049), Brithdir.

On reading the above I found the following on SDGW. David Sullivan, Pte 17049, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry, Residence: Brithdir, Enlisted: Bargoed, Date of death: 23 July 1916. His Medal Index Card reveals the Theatre of War: France, and he arrived 23 Feb 15. Medals: Victory, BWM, 15 Star. Date of Death 23 July 1916 (presumed dead).

I failed to find his service records so I would appreicate if anyone could please tell me where his regiment were around the time of his death.

Thanks Roy

A little more detail from Everard Wyrall's history of the Regiment for 23rd July:

The 13th Brigade attacked at 12.30 am, but the attack was unsuccessful. At 3.40 am the three companies of the DCLI ie A, B and D Companies, assaulted three strong points. They were repulsed with heavy loss. Owing to the failure of the 13th Brigade the flanks of the Cornwalls were open and as they went forward both A and B Companies found themselves in a tight corner and machine gun fire caught them in rear and, their flanks being opon, they had a terrible time. The remnants of the three companies fell back to their original positions where they hung on all day until relieved on the night of the 23rd by the 1st Devons. They then returned to the trenches in Happy Valley.

Edwin