Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KC/QC/QVC

Khaki

Why do some regiments change from say, the Queen Victoria style crown to the KC following the death of the Monarch and other regiments appear to stay with a previous pattern, or maybe I am confusing coronets with crowns?

khaki

You may well be. Has this been triggered by a discussion of the Green Howards cap badge? Some people think that it had a permanent 'King's Crown' whereas in fact it was a coronet. Crowns should change - albeit 'as stocks become exhausted' on badges with a change of monarch, as they have since the death of Victoria.

*That said, my old regiment - the Staffordshire Yeomanry - wore QVC crown badges well into WW2 to commemorate the fact that we were 'The Queen's Own Royal Regiment'.

Hello Staffsyeoman,

No, there has been no discussion on Green Howards badges (there is no one around here to discuss British militaria with) it just occurred to me looking at the few badges that I have and very limited reference material that there appeared to be an anomaly.

thank you for your reply

regards

khaki

I recently wrote this on a post headed 'what's wrong with this?':

Just to add a little bit to Staffsyeoman's comment about crowns on cap badges changing: The cap badge of the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars was officially produced with a number of different crowns depending on the monarch of the time, but strictly speaking only one is correct: that of Queen Adelaide. The reason being that the badge contains Queen Adelaide's cypher AR, and it is wrong to put another monarch's crown over it. I won't try and post photos of the various badges but a quick visit to ebay may show some of them.

PS. I just took a look at ebay: The badges with the square shoulders to the crown are correct. The king's type crown as shown on the silk is incorrect.

PPS: Even the badge on the avatar I'm using is wrong!