Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Req Help Frontlines (Moorslede 1917/18)

Rogueraven

I need help on the frontlines between August 1917 to the end of the war, Do not look away yet I'm focus on a very specific area between Moorslede, Dadizele about 1 mile either side of modern day Dadizeelsestraat and more importantly around the Strooiboom area.

What I really need to know is how destructive was the fighting or preparations to fight from in the landscape of this area, and importantly if a burial was to have taking place within this area what would the likelihood of the burial remaining intact over the remainder of the war ?

Not sure whether this is of any assistance, but it shows the positions of the frontlines at three different times between Aug 1917 and the final advance of Sept-Nov 1918 in relation to Moorslede and Dadizeele...

Dave

post-357-0-00521100-1383147050_thumb.jpg

Do you have a clearer version of this map and would you be able to e-mail it me ?

From what I see there is no trench warfare near to the area I assume E section 21,22,23,27,28,29,3,4,5,9,10,11. Do you know if the landscape of that area was effected by artillery to the point where the chances of it striking a grave site was high ?

Hello,

Most of the area was quite thoroughly destroyed.

Which grave site do you have in mind?

Jan

Hello,

Most of the area was quite thoroughly destroyed.

Which grave site do you have in mind?

Jan

I do not have all the paper work together yet so do not want to go into to much detail on whom. I have circumstantial evidence to suggest a body was recovered in 1917 though at this time I have failed to locate a casualty card for said person or evidence of burial, however saying that I am certain I am in the correct area where the body was recovered from to a more specific point than the general area I mentioned. I am trying to determine the extent of the fighting and destruction to the landscape around a possible grave site which could explain why the body may not have been recovered at the end of the war. I am also looking at the possibility that certain information about said victim did not come to light until a good time after the end of the war, so all the information was not there for a recovery of said body to begin with. With the British and Germany Archives being incomplete and the Geneva Archive currently not accessible my research is hindered somewhat, so at this time I am only going to mentioned that the victim is mentioned on the Arras Memorial but other than that does not have a known grave site.

Do you have a clearer version of this map and would you be able to e-mail it me ?

Unfortunately not... ... I deleted it soon after posting on here.

Dave

Is it one of the German cemeteries near Waterdamhoek? They were thoroughly destroyed and a lot of soldiers once buried there have no known grave today. These cemeteries were cleared after the war and taken to other cemeteries.

Is it one of the German cemeteries near Waterdamhoek? They were thoroughly destroyed and a lot of soldiers once buried there have no known grave today. These cemeteries were cleared after the war and taken to other cemeteries.

Its nice to know about the German cemeteries near to Waterdamhoek this is new information too me, would you know of any British service personnel that could have been buried in one of these cemeteries, my area of interest is still further south than Waterdamhoek and I doubt they would have moved the body from where it might have be recovered to a area of German war graves however saying that I know it has happened before.

Also I would like information on the Dadizele line how fortified would this line be earth works, trenches, etc. ?

Oops would like to apologies about a grammar error in the last post, Its nice to know of the existence of German cemeteries near to Waterdamhoek because this is new information to me. I am sorry that they were destroyed with the loss of known burial sites.

Sorry I left my original statement open to interpretation.

James

There was a German cemetery at Strooiboomhoek as well (as far as I remember these were mainly graves from 1914 when there was an aid post in the area). I'll check whether I find any later burials on that cemetery.

There was a German cemetery at Strooiboomhoek as well (as far as I remember these were mainly graves from 1914 when there was an aid post in the area). I'll check whether I find any later burials on that cemetery.

The German cemetery at Strooiboomhoek was it thoroughly destroyed too? or was the bodies just recovered at the end of the war ?

I am looking for information on active German cemeteries and burial locations South of Moorslede and North of Dadizeele from August 1917 onwards , and any information regarding what happened to them at the end of the war in cases where they do not exist today type of information I'm looking for is, name/location, Active from and too (first burials last burials) and any other information.

James