Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Charles Miles !/8th Royal Warwicks.

Clarrie

My grandfathers brother Charles Miles died on the 27/7/16. have done some research which shows that 1/8th were just north of Pozieres on this date. I have found a reference in one book that they "bombed on the Courcelette Rd" - what does this mean and does it mean the War Diaries for this regiment still exists. has anyone more information

Clarrie

If you have, or can get, access to Ancestry his service record survives in WW1 Army Service Records on that site. There are images of 11 pages (but not guaranteed).

He is indexed as C. Miles born 1888 4736 Warwickshire Regt. and residence as "Kotina Green, Worcester"

Unfortunately, but not unusual, "Kotina Green, Worcester" is a transcription error. The handwriting on the attestation form is difficult to read.

Reading through the record sheets there is correspondence with Mr. J. Miles, Cherry Croft, Holmer Green, nr. Amersham, Bucks.

Charles Miles attested on 9.12.1915 to serve with 3/8th Bn. Warwickshire Regt. as 4736 but later in the records this changes to 306545

Thank you both - will follow up - J Miles was my Great-Grandfather although Charles brother also John died in action on the 15th Sept 1916, in the Battle of Morval - was in the Coldstream Guards but have the War Diaries for this Regiment.

I have found a reference in one book that they "bombed on the Courcelette Rd" Clarrie

In effect they attacked the enemy with grenades,sometimes this meant getting a foothold in a trench system and throwing bombs to clear the enemy ahead of them.

http://etheses.bham....iams00MPhil.pdf

Clarrie.

If you click on the above link, it will take you to a goldmine of information about this battalion. Hope you enjoy it.