Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William jones RWF / 9th Cheshire

Mat50

Looking for my great grandfather who was in RWF no 69595 then transferred to 9th Cheshire Regiment 53204. Wounded 7th nov 1918 died 10 nov 1918 at 45 clearing station,France. I have found some of his war records but I am unable to find him on any memorial. Can anyone out there give me some tips and advice on where to look?

Hi Mat,

I would start looking where he was born, or where he resided for any memorial sites. If these do not prove successful then you might check local churches or chapels that he attended. Some work locations also provided memorials or parish halls etc.

You could also visit his grave which is located in the Awoingt British cemetery located near Cambrai in France.

JONES, W

Service No:53204

Date of Death:10/11/1918

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment 9th Bn.

Grave Reference III. D. 17.

Cemetery AWOINGT BRITISH CEMETERY

Regards

Will

'Soldiers Died in The Great War 1914-1919' states that he was born at Cerrig-y-druidion, Denbighshire (now Cerrigydruidion, Conwy County Borough, North Wales) but he is not on the war memorial there. S.D.G.W. states that he enlisted at Wrexham.

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=cerrigydrudion-memorial-fww

It might be worth contacting Clwyd Family History Society; they have transcribed many of the war memorials in the Wrexham area.

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/warmemorials.htm

Thank you for your replies. I've have looked at all the local cenotaphs but cannot find him. I have also contacted the war memorial archives and the war graves commission but they cannot find him. I would dearly love to visit the Awoingt cemetery as I have found where his grave is through the war graves commission site. I have also got onto his service records which I found very touching, I feel as if I knew him now! I would dearly like to find if he is on a memorial and if not get his name added. It has been a long hard task , I'm glad I was given advice to go on this forum as already you have shown interest in my research.

Thank you

Suzanne

His records suggest he was domiciled in Ruthin. Initially there were 71 names on the war memorial there but, about 10 years or so ago, a lot of effort was put into tracing around 30 other men whose names were eventually added to the memorial

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/5181478.stm

It's fair to say that when that research was done it was much harder to trace 'local' men than nowadays what with reasonably easy access to service records etc we have at our fingertips today.

The Geraint Owen mentioned in the article is a member of this Forum. He hasn't been on the forum since27th Sept but he does take time away for other matters. I would suggest that you send him a PM asking if he has any views/advice on your quest.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showuser=30482

Hywyn

Suzanne

I have had another look at his papers and now realise that the address is Bontuchel and not Ruthin itself.

Have you had a look at the Clocenog Memorial which has a William Jones? I'm not entirely sure of which village comes under which rural area (or did so in WW1) but it looks as if you are more local than me. Jules and Geraint certainly are!

This link to the Clwyd FHS memorials for Clocaenog identifies that William Jones as another of that name from Bontuchel.

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/clocaenog_wm.htm

It may be that the memorial itself gives more than just a name (i.e a Regiment or even date) but, unfortunately, the way the site is set up it's hard to be certain what information is actually on the memorial although in this case I rather suspect it's rank and name.

Incidentally, the Clocaenog section on the Memorial Archway at Bangor reflects the 'local' one. There may be other local placenames on there you may want to view.

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages/arch/DSCF4434.htm

Hywyn

Thank you Hywyn. As far as I can see his wife lived in 42 Clwyd street, Ruthin, on his records it states, Clwydian House, Ruthin. And later his wife seems to have moved to Clywedog Cottage, Bontuchel. The William jones on the Clocaenog memorial does not match to my William, (mothers name and roll no different). I will look at the Bangor Memorial arch again to see of I can find a WJones local to me.

It is so pleasing that there are people out there willing to help search.

Thanks again

Suzanne

Suzanne

I appreciate that the William Jones on the Clwyd FHS version of Clocaenog does not match your William Jones. Thing is, is that the one on there is only as good as that particular researcher. He doesn't explain how he comes about that that particular William Jones is the right one for that Memorial. We now know that there are two William Jones' with links to Bontuchel (Does Clocaenog relate to Bontuchel?)

Of course when the memorial were set up everyone knew who they were but now, 90 years on, we have to try and piece bits together. Some memorial have addresses/further info on them and that is why I was asking if you had actually seen it.

Hywyn

Hywyn

Clocaenog is a few miles away from Bontuchel. I will go up to Clocaenog and see if there is any more info on the memorial. My father always thought he was on the Ruthin memorial, but since starting my research it turns out not to be him.

Suzanne

• 3 months later...

Whoops I meant Gyffylliog ! Trying to find other soldiers and getting in a tizz!, no just name and date unfortunately. But thanks to help from Jules finally tracked him down.

Thanks again Jules