Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lce. Corp. Harry Wilfrid Dean

JPAE

I have been asked by a student to help research this soldier. http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/410242/DEAN,%20HERBERT%20LAWRENCE

His brother is the 1918 casualty. Any details concerning the service of: Lce Corp. Harry Wilfrid Dean 41607 5th. Bn.Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Jan 1923. (age 35) would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

There is a Medal Index Card for a Harry W DEAN on Ancestry UK. It shows that he served in two Regiments during WW1,the first being the West Yorkshire Regiment,service number 25191 and the second as you state here,41607 Northumberland Fusiliers.The first named will be the one he first landed in a war zone with. You can find out which one from the original Medal Roll,which can be identified from the letters and numbers shown against the campaign medals on the Medal Card,viz.O/1/105B60p14498,which relates to the ledger WO329/731 page 14498 which is filed at Kew and would need to be seen there as it is not digital. From that information you may be able to get some idea of his service from a War Diary filed in the same place under the series WO95/,but before you can do this you might have to try to identify a date of enlistment from the service number.

It will be difficult to get a story unless you can find these sort of facts and when he might have changed Units. This is often the case when someone is wounded or sick and on regaining fitness may return to whichever unit needs more soldiers.

Thank you Soton for such a swift response. I have given Kathleen this web address and she can take the research further using your suggestions. I have hinted that joining this happy breed may be a good plan too! Phil.

A sample check of service numbers for the West Yorkshire Regiment indicates a likely enlistment date somewhen in December 1915.

I would say there is a strong possibility that the soldier was trained and ready for action on the Somme in July 1916.

A similar sample of some LF service numbers is a fair bit more erratic as there is no clear sequence of number to date,41502 to 23.11.1914; 41114 to 11.12.1915; 41989 to 8.12.1915; 43244 to 29.11.1916.

One of the NF experts here may be able to provide a likely date of transfer.