Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

recruitment offices in ireland

caroleah

can anyone tell me how men were recruited to specific regiments. Was it decided in Ireland or were they posted after going to UK..One of my grandfathers in Kilkenny went to the Royal engineers in1914, he was a saddler by trade.The other in Cork , he was a motor mechanic. went to Royal Army Service Corps MT Section. It seems a coincidence that these regiments were at these specific places when my grandfathers signed up.

Caroleah, Men recruited in Ireland would attend a recruiting office situated in Ireland where they would be attested and documented, medical etc. There. As a regular soldier or, after 1914, a Kitchener recruit they would be able to choose their regiment at the time of their enlistment at the recruiting centre in Ireland. Very often the recruiting staff would influence a man as to which regiment he joined. If Infantry then most likely in Cork the Royal Munster fusiliers, in Kilkenny then the Royal Irish Regiment, or if they had a skill then, as with your grandfather, Royal Engineers. In his case then he would be despatched to England where he would be trained at the RE. Depot, probably Chatham. With units like the RE and the ASC (not royal until 1918) they would have men wherever there were Garrisons. My Grandfather enlisted in the Royal Garrison Artillery at Dublin then after the formalities went accross the Irish Sea for training. His brothers also enlisted as regulars, the youngest into the Dublin Fusiliers but two others for some reason we have never established joined the East Lancashire Regiment. this could be an enthusiastic recruiter from that Regiment, who knows. So to answer your question it would be decided in Ireland and the 2 units you mentioned above would have detachments at almost all army garrisons.

Tony P

the Irish Automobile Club did a lot of recruiting for the ASC (mainly for drivers). First ad in the Irish Times appeared 2nd June 1915. Mr E White appears to be the main man on this.

The Army had approached a number of companies directly re transport, drivers etc (my research has centred on Guinness in Dublin).

Through Dr Lumsden at Guinness a large number of Guinness employees went straight to the Royal Navy Sick Berth Reserve for example. Don't know about what the story in Cork and Kilkenny was re employers and recruitment but possibly similar arrangements.

615 MT ASC was in Dublin from January 1916 and may have been doing it's own recruitment campaign.

Don't know if this was a factor but as the war progressed, there was less petrol available for general use and less need for mechanics at home.

Johnny

I recently became aware that 146 men from Dublin were enlisted in the Gallant Forty Twa, or The Black Watch. They were transported to the training depot in Scotland. I believe they got on well with their Scottish comrades.

Material relating to this will soon be available in the Dublin City Archive, where the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association deposit such items of historical interest.

Séamus

Thanks for your help.Perhaps it was enthusiastic recruiters!! Luckily both survived although grandad Ryan in the RE was injured both at the somme and around Ypres but remained in until medically discharged 1918. Grandad Hennesy went to Salonica and Egypt with the RASC until 1919 when he rejoined on short service and spent his time in India at Bombay,Poona and the Khyber as part of the Khyber Ropeway Corps until demobbed in 1924. What a change from Kilkenny and Cork!!!!!

That's very interestin! I always wondered how my Grandfather who enlisted in Cork went straight into the 7th Battalion South Lancashire Regt. As you say maybe enthusiastic recruiters. It would be interesting to discover if many enlisters at the time (November 1914) also joined the South Lancashires?

There were 180, 000 Irish Volunteers who had been raised to defend The Home Rule for Ireland ; of these only 143,000 went on to enlist, when encouraged by the leader of the movement , John Redmond. And only about 1/6 th of these joined the Two Irish Divisions, namely, the 10th & the 16th. Overall, 200,000 joined the British army alone, not to mention those who joined the AIF, CEF, US armies. There were even Irishmen fighting in the French army! According to Brigadier A.E.C. Brelin, in his excellent book entitled, "The History of the Irish Soldier", 248,000 Irishmen returned to Irelsnd after demobilisation in 1919.

"Let Erin Remember

Them with pride,

As for her freedom

They too died"

Many Irish sent to 66th East Lancs Dvn towards end of the war. They had shortages, simple as that.

50% (6 out of 12) of Irish National Volunteers from the Boardsmill district of Trim, County Meath ended-up in the Irish Guards... Perhaps instructed to stick together?

Also over 60% (16 out of 26) of RIC constables from Meath joined the Irish Guards - perhaps to keep an eye on all the National Volunteers!

http://meathheritage.awardspace.info/rohtxt3.html

Simon

50% (6 out of 12) of Irish National Volunteers from the Boardsmill district of Trim, County Meath ended-up in the Irish Guards... Perhaps instructed to stick together?

Also over 60% (16 out of 26) of RIC constables from Meath joined the Irish Guards - perhaps to keep an eye on all the National Volunteers!

http://meathheritage.awardspace.info/rohtxt3.html

Simon

Minimum height for Irish Guards was 6 ft so keep all tall guys together?