Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

The Junger book turned up in the post. So the Amazon book link from this forum works just fine.

I note on page 106 that Junger spends August 1916 in the Gera Garrison Hospital having been transported there from St Quentin. He had received a shrapnel wound to his leg in Combles.

NB - Marcin Feledziak is familiar with this City...

Gera (Reuss) Barracks of the First and Second Battalion 7 Thuringian Infantry Regiment No. 96

http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/gera.htm

I love nosing round all the other posts on this forum.

This is today's conclusion from such a "Moach"

I think the link to " Divisions of the German army which participated in the war "

contains the very information. The below image records a section from a report on the 10th Reserve Division - containing the 37th Fusilier Regiment.

post-103138-0-84354400-1395923854_thumb.

the above tells me what happened to Johann Killed 1917.

The below is from the regiment history -

post-103138-0-27512600-1395923972_thumb.

Conclusion :-

He was wounded on 28th June 1917 during the attack on Hill 304 Avocourt Wood.( Mort Homme ).

He ends up at the hospital in Stennay Sur Muse and dies of his injuries on 18th July 1917.

Martin.

Martin,

Hill 304 has had some discussion here on the GWF in the past. A Map with Hill 304 on it, albeit from later in 1917, was put forth by Egbert:

19_8_1917_Hoehe_304.jpg

(from http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103598)

And another map shows the same area, albeit in 1916, which I offer to put the location into a wider context:

German%2Battack%2Bgains%2BMAR%2B1916.jpg

(from http://firedirectioncenter.blogspot.com/2012/02/decisive-battles-verdun-1916.html)

-Daniel

Wow - Daniel - That is truly great info for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I amazed at how all this information keeps swinging around and linking up

I have just finished reading the above link on the fighting for Hill 304.

I posted onto that thread too so I can keep all these threads together.

I wonder how much more can be found out.

Martin - I will certainly keep looking !!!

Wow - Daniel - That is truly great info for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I amazed at how all this information keeps swinging around and linking up

I have just finished reading the above link on the fighting for Hill 304.

I posted onto that thread too so I can keep all these threads together.

I wonder how much more can be found out.

Martin - I will certainly keep looking !!!

While Johann was engaged in the fight of his life at Hill 304, my grandfather and his unit were shelling the French positions in and around Chemin de Dames near Hurtebise Ferme, about 171 km to the west. Emanuel did his time near Hill 304, at Le Mort Homme and Gänserücken, earlier in 1917 (February to April) so he knew that area quite well, I would think.

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I have been doing much reading today - perhaps too much as I can see the displeasure by the way my dear wife regards me.

I have seen "Chemin de Dames" a number of times today and it has usually been to do with the loss of will felt by all ranks of the French army.

Also I have been looking back on Johann Feledziak killed 1915 and I have seen some things which are now " niggling " in my mind.

I shall propose these "Thinkings" over the weekend.

Here is another supporting account for Johann Feledziak who died as a result of operation "Drahthindernis"

The Operation "Drahthindernis" was ordered for the 28th of June, operation "Beobachtung" for the 29th of June.

Commanding the Sturmabteilung were Lt.d.Res Biedermann, Lt.d.R. Pollmeier, Lt.d.Res. Pellner and Lt. Ronke. Coordination the attack were Oblt. Graeter and Lt. Fraedrich. A number of Flamethrowers from Sturmabteilung Rohr would accompany them.

The facinating story of Musketier Karl Wilhelm Görres and these assaults is on the below link.

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40029/41518.html

"Drahthindernis" was carried out successfully.

This is my attempt to understand the rank structure of The Pionier Regiment No 29.

post-103138-0-13941000-1396097322_thumb.

I believe that Generalmajor Tilmann is the figure head , perhaps Brigadier General is the equivalent British Army Rank.

Oberst Klebmet - Colonel equivalent.

The image is from the Regiment history.

I would love to be able to read the history but it is beyond me. I can just look at the pictures.

post-103138-0-26039400-1396115926_thumb.

Then it would appear that the Regiment is divided into Bataillons containing 2 Kompagnies.

post-103138-0-09351600-1396114118_thumb.

Then there are Kompanie Hauptmann's ( or Captains )

post-103138-0-45118900-1396114584_thumb.

in the case of the 1st Bataillon

1 Kompagnie is Hertzberg and

2 Kompanie is Schink.

They appear to have a "cross" next to their names which indicates they were killed during the conflict. I will check this later.

2 Kompanie is the area where Johann Feledziak , killed 1915, served.

This is a picture which Egbert posted a couple of months back.

post-103138-0-09512800-1396120296_thumb.

It was taken in the Camp of 2 Kompanie in the Argonnen Forrest. If it was from before May 1915 then Johann will be on the back row.

I am trying to work out who the three on the front row could be.?

I know things change during to course of the war and I have seen that there is another Battallion added at some stage containing 5 and 6 Kompanies.

Obviously more troops are added each year from new recruits.

These will replace the troops killed in the various battles.

Assuming your fellow is in that picture (and that's a little bit of a stretch), you can rule out many of the people, I would think, simply based on what style of hat they are wearing. I would think your fellow would not wear the NCO-style hat (I forget the proper name for it), which eliminates eight men right off the bat. That just leaves you five men sporting the regular cloth feldmutzes.

-Daniel

Daniel-

That is good to know.

I have much to learn on this stuff.

I have no idea what their hats are. To be fair I am not even sure what an Non commissioned officer is.

And I am making a right old mess here mixing up the Johann's war roles.

But I am sure that they are not bothered about me poking around in their history.

In fact I am happy to shine a light on it !! Good or Bad !!

Daniel,

That is good for me - I guess I could do with a book called,

"WW1 Imperial German Army stuff for Dummies".

Daniel,

That is good for me - I guess I could do with a book called,

"WW1 Imperial German Army stuff for Dummies".

I would heartily recommend "Handbook of the Imperial German Army" by Joe and Janet Robinson. Also, there are uniform books by Osprey: "The German Army 1914-1918" and "The German Army In World War One". Not everything they contain has sunk in but they are great for reference for me.

-Daniel

I am just going to add Major Reddemann to this thread.

post-103138-0-52285300-1396181433_thumb.

He appears on the page for 2 Kompanie and will have been a "Boss" to Johann Killed 1915.

This is a picture which Egbert posted a couple of months back.

attachicon.gifOfficers 2.jpg

It was taken in the Camp of 2 Kompanie in the Argonnen Forrest. If it was from before May 1915 then Johann will be on the back row.

I am trying to work out who the three on the front row could be.?

I know things change during to course of the war and I have seen that there is another Battallion added at some stage containing 5 and 6 Kompanies.

Obviously more troops are added each year from new recruits.

These will replace the troops killed in the various battles.

I have only just noticed the Kompanie dog !!!

Ok - My second war book has arrived from the Amazon Forum link.

Looks like I am a collector now.

Handbook of "Imperial Germany"

looks good and should keep me happy for a while.

Thanks for the tip Daniel.

Ok - My second war book has arrived from the Amazon Forum link.

Looks like I am a collector now.

Handbook of "Imperial Germany"

looks good and should keep me happy for a while.

Thanks for the tip Daniel.

The author of that book is a regular here on the GWF as well as the Pickelhaubes forum. A great and knowledgeable fellow, who has helped me a few times over the years.

-Daniel

Thanks Daniel

I am always amazed at things which can be found.

In this case in Australia

- I hope these are relevant, and available, to us and in English ?

post-103138-0-96307200-1396693286_thumb.

Is this Emanuel's 47th ?

post-103138-0-27733600-1396692965_thumb.

Thanks Daniel

I am always amazed at things which can be found.

In this case in Australia

- I hope these are relevant, and available, to us and in English ?

attachicon.gif37.jpg

Is this Emanuel's 47th ?

attachicon.gif47.jpg

Hi Martin,

That is actually a different unit from Emanuel's. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy via eBay an original copy of the unit histories for both FAR 47 and FAR 43, which is the unit he ended his service with. The entry in Worldcat for FAR 47:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/geschichte-des-2-ie-zweites-kurhessischen-feldartillerie-regiments-no-47-1899-1919/oclc/12077333&referer=brief_results

The book itself:

FAR%2047%20Unit%20History0001.jpg

Sorry about the size of the photo above, but when I got the UH I scanned the whole thing cover to cover and made an eBook out of it.

I am not familiar with too many of these that have been translated, since it is such an enormous task. One day I hope to be proficient enough in German to sit down and read it.

-Daniel

Nice looking book - and a smart Graphic - rather like the Antiques Roadshow logo which I shall watch tomorrow. (Egbert's Trunk feature)

I am hoping the Australian's have translated the 37th Fusiliers history that would be very good for 2 reasons.

1) I have not seen the book anywhere else. (even that wonder store Ebay)

2) the hard work is already done.

I have e-mailed the library to see what they have.