Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

Well done to the local community for keeping this cemetery in wonderful order.

I have now made two visits and although these soldiers were buried in a remote area they are still respected.

My poppy was placed in May 2015 and has turned white with exposure to the elements.

Servon.JPG

• 1 month later...

Today I found the birth certificate for my Grandfather Martin FELEDZIAK. 

The internet continues to provide history for us researchers.

We just have to keep looking.

http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/11/705/0/1/85/str/1/14/15/hDUNApP4vpQ5URHeKTcWdg/#tabSkany

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Fantastic! That's a great find!

How did you manage - I mean to find it in the Polish archives?

Christine

Greeting Christine,

There is a very good search engine and the documents are growing all the time. Grandfathers record was digitized last week.

This is the link to the search engine I use.

http://www.basia.famula.pl

I know the records are German old script but I am not able to work out which language the handwriting is.

I can see he was from Wrotkow, His Mother  a Catholic, Fransika FELEDZIAK born KLEPACKA  but I do not understand the two words after Wrotkow on the ZU line.

Wrotkow.jpg

Martin

Something like this?:

"wohnhaft zu Wrotkow

katholischer Religion, und zeigte an, daß von der

Franziska Feledziak geborenen

Klepacka, seiner Ehefrau

katholischer Religion

wohnhaft bei ihm

zu Wrotkow in seiner Wohnung

am vierzehnten Oktober des Jahres

tausend achthundert neunzig und sieben [1897?] vormittags

um zwei Uhr ein Kind männlichen

Geschlechts geboren worden sei , welches den Vornamen

Martin

Hope this helps, you can try google translate or I can translate tomorrow.

Basically it states that the child was born in the flat/house/household were the father and the mother lived.

2am 14.10.1897 - if I got it right.

Christine

Thanks Christine

Residing at Wrotkow Catholic religion, and indicated that from the Franziska Feledzia nee Klepacka, his wife Catholic religion Residing with him.

To Wrotkov in his apartment On the fourteenth of October Thousand eight hundred ninety and seven 1897.  Mornings At two o'clock a child male Sex,

which had the first name Martin "

That is great.

Martin

Martin, here's a template for the standard form of birth certificate:

Certificate No ....

[Place and date]

There appeared today before the undersigned Registrar

[name of father], [occupation], of [address], [religion], who identified himself by means of

[form of identification, or ‘known in person’] and declared that his wife, [name and maiden name], [religion], of the same address, had been delivered of a [male/female] child at his residence in [place] at [time, day, month, year] and that the child had been given the forename(s) [name(s)].

Read, approved and signed:  [signature of father]

The Registrar: [name and signature]

The conformity of this extract with the Principal Register is hereby certified.

[Place and date]

The Registrar:  [name and signature]

Greetings Siege Gunner,

That is a handy proforma layout.

Here is the bottom of the certificate, so signed by the Registrar, but what has he added in the approved section.

Rergistrar.jpg

'Vorgelesen, genehmigt und wegen Schreibensunkunde von dem Anzeigenden mit seinem Handzeichen versehen'.

'Read out to the Registrant (the father), approved, and, as he is unable to write, endorsed with his mark'.

Mick

Siege Gunner,

Thanks very much, So now I know that My Great Grandfather, Johann, was unable to write.

It is not surprising but a fact nonetheless.

Martin. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

I stumbled on this topic recently and hope you can fill a gap for me.

My interest is with my grandfather's unit, 362nd Infantry, 91st Division.  On 11 October 1918 this unit attacked hill 288 on the Kreimhilde line.  Based on my research it appears the  171st Infantry was defending hill 288 that day which I am hoping to confirm.  Seeing the string of comments here the 171IR did publish a book covering the war during this period of time, which I have not been able to locate.  Would it be possible to have the pages covering the regiment's activity on 11 Oct 1918 scanned?  It seems the period of 8-10 Oct has already been addressed here which was very helpful but closing the gap up to 11 Oct would be great. 

Thanks

Jeff 

Jeff;

Welcome to the Forum. 

Please do do not be offended, but you can get more response if you make sure it is clear which army you are talking about. Someone more expert in the German Army may not be that knowledgeable about the British Army. I assume that you are talking about the 91st Division of the British Army. Perhaps I sound pedantic, but I think it is a useful comment to make it more likely that you get a good and useful response. 

I I cannot offer specifics, but you will find that the German materials for the last month or two of the war are usually rather thin. Soon the units were rushing back to Germany, with the knowledge that men or units that did not clear out of France were going to be taken as POWs. Reports were never written or were lost, communications broke down, etc. 

i have a few German unit histories (20?), but I am not expert in the area of collecting this sort of resource, and have been away from these studies for a few years. Do you read German and the old Fraktur? Do you know the system known as WorldCat?

As IR. 171 was a regular regiment (not reserve unit), you are more likely to be in luck, but as it was not an "old" regiment, it is not as certain. 

Greetings Jeff and Bob.

A very interesting time indeed. I do not have the book but I do have the October pages a fellow Forum member aquired for me..

I will need to find them as I recently suffered a hard disk error.

Sadly they are in German and too hard for me to understand. I have no real proof that my Grandfather was present at this final battle but all indications are that he was there and ready to endure his 21st Birthday, on 14th October, in a desperate fight for survival.

OK, I see your Grandfathers American 91st supporting the 32nd. My Grandfathers unit was part of the German 115th Division.

I will see if I can get those pages.

Martin

Meeting of the Divisions.jpg

Interesting to think our grandfathers may have faced each other on opposite sides.

Jeff,

It is good for me to refresh myself on what was going on in October 1918. You are right they probably did have sight of each others units. The german map on the left below, from the IR171 history,  lists the Hill as 255, but I have seen a number of theses location variances.

The 115th Division was made up of  IR171, IR173 and IR136.

My Grandfather was in Komp 10 of the Third (III) battalion, so exactly on hill 255/288 on the below left diagram.

Divisions.jpg

Here are the last four pages that I have. If you can see anything of any note please let me know.

IR171_S274-275.jpg

IR171_S276-277.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You've made quite a few great discoveries, Martin...well done!  And welcome to Jeff!  I hope you find the information you seek.

-Daniel

Greetings Daniel.

Yes, I started here on the forum late October 2013 with a tiny bit of information about Johann, a great Uncle who had been killed in 1915, Now I have filled out a massive family tree packed full of history.

And I know there will be more discoveries to be made. The internet is indeed the information super highway.

Martin

Not sure who the chap is on the right. But that is surley the same chair in the 1919 photo of My GF on the left.

Both pictures taken in the studio of Fraz Scheffer, in Gera. 

58f36d725b8de_ThechairofGera.jpg.fbac21cc39d04459d6cd36d5d6b7cade.jpg

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/1110a-CDV-Foto-Soldat-Gera-/352031846366?hash=item51f6bbafde:g:Kv0AAOSwq7JT~0pq

On 07/03/2017 at 17:16, jeffbir1 said:

Hello:

I stumbled on this topic recently and hope you can fill a gap for me.

My interest is with my grandfather's unit, 362nd Infantry, 91st Division.  On 11 October 1918 this unit attacked hill 288 on the Kreimhilde line.  Based on my research it appears the  171st Infantry was defending hill 288 that day which I am hoping to confirm.  Seeing the string of comments here the 171IR did publish a book covering the war during this period of time, which I have not been able to locate.  Would it be possible to have the pages covering the regiment's activity on 11 Oct 1918 scanned?  It seems the period of 8-10 Oct has already been addressed here which was very helpful but closing the gap up to 11 Oct would be great. 

Thanks

Jeff 

Just to show I am paying attention I now see that the 362nd ( 181 infantry Brigade ) were attached to the 1st Division for that action.

58f72768e03e3_October11and12.jpg.3a6a6b8ef95ca994672eb0b30af6cc55.jpg

58f72914043e1_181Brigadeattached.jpg.de7c189f8d812b7125ecd3193614958a.jpg