Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

The Brigade gave the following command: “Attack of the heights with the windmills near Petrowek....the 21 to the right of the main road, the 61 to the left via Klotno”.

The I. Bat. of the RIR 61 was commanded to go to the right, south of the main road, III to the left of I, while Bat. II including MGK was supposed to go through a forest. Komp. 11 and 12 should be available at Klotno. The attack started off well, but was too slow for the Brigadenfuehrer, he therefore gave the command to attack the heights with the windmills directly.

Well, I am sure somebody can come up with a much better and more detailed translation than me, but I thought it was impolite to ask you to post the next page without even try to forward some of the first one.....(with other Words I am curious how it continues).

Christine

Greetings Christine -

that is great so here is the current map from Google Earth. I have added the guessed locations of the Battalions.

post-103138-0-25423600-1448966162_thumb.

Pages 66 and 67

post-103138-0-08294400-1448636386_thumb.

post-103138-0-33563300-1448636465_thumb.

Just noticed your post at the end of page 23.

Yes, it is wonderful to get hold of these histories. I can make out dates, names and places but the rest is too difficult.

I got this version for RIR61 from here

http://www.military-books.de.vu/

however there does not appear to be one for Gustav's 18ers

Well, this Brigadeführer (I think the one who was a bit impatient) took the lead of the RIR 61 together with the Regimentskommandeur. But just at that moment the Brigadeführer, Oberst v. Tippelskirch, was seriously wounded by one shot through both lower legs (!). He died 22nd January 1915.

To make a long story short – the heights with the windmills were taken the same evening (after preparing thoroughly for this). The Bat. I and III took part in this. Hauptman Graf v. Schwerin, (head of 12. Komp.) died as well. These two battalions moved on to the line Patrowo-Gorki. The Bat. II had it difficult – being far away from the brigade , in Marianka surrounded by the Russians. But then they got support from Res. Jäger 2.

Late in the evening the 3rd Komp came to Zawada (and then there is more information what has happened to that Komp. before).... (that was a summary of page 66)

Christine

Christine,

Very many thanks, this is very interesting and I think it would be where Jacob was seriously wounded and ironically lucky at the same time for this ended the war for him. I also see The Reserve Jager battalion 2 are also mentioned and this ties in with this strange report from the verlustlisten.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4003260

Oberst v. Tippelskirch

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2983479

36th Reserve division.

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 61 together with

Reserve Infanterie Regiment 21 along with

Reserve Jager Batalion 2 made up

69th Reserve Infanterie Brigade.

post-103138-0-28385600-1448722040_thumb.

This is from page 69

post-103138-0-72682900-1449057451_thumb.

The below link superimposes the above onto google Earth.

(You need to have Google Earth installed on your workstation/computer in order for it to open.)

RIR61 WestPolen.kmz

This is an overview map featuring The bay of Danzig or Gdansk - where RIR61 formed up for mobilisation.

I have circled Kutno which is between Poznan and Warsaw.

N.B Warsaw is shown behind the red line and under Russian control ( or was in 1914 - then moved back to the 1915 red line )

post-103138-0-01661400-1449245675_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now thinking back 100 years as we approach Christmas 2015 and how the Polish side of my family tree faced Christmas 1915 and the new year 1916.

(2) Anton FELEDZIAK would be a reservist aged 23 so he would have been called back to a Reserve Unit, I do not know where just yet but I am guessing he will be on the Eastern front. He dies on the Eastern front in 1917

(3) Johann FELEDZIAK born 1891 was already dead, a Pioneer in the Argonne Forest Killed on 22 April 1915, He was 24 years of age.

(4) Johann FELEDZIAK born 1897,18 years, was not due to be called up for service until 1917 but I imagine he was already in training.

In any event he dies in July 1917, on Hill 304 - Verdun sector.

(6) Marcin FELEDZIAK, My Grandfather, born in 1897, so 18 years old, was not due to be called up for service until 1917 but I imagine he was already in training.

(8) Jacob FELEDZIAK born 1886, a reservist aged 29, seriously wounded on the Eastern front during November 1914.

(9) Jozef FELEDZIAK born 1894, a reservist aged 21, would be somewhere in France, He becomes A prisoner of war in 1916.

(11) Andreas FELEDZIAK, born 1889 aged 26, a professional soldier, already wounded in September 1914 whilst engaged in the Argonne Forrest. I do not know if Andreas survived the war.

(12) Martin FELEDZIAK born 1895, 20 years old, would have just joined up but becomes a prisoner of war in 1916.

(17) Walenty FELEDZIAK born 1898, 17 years old, I believe he avoids German conscription but is involved in the Poznan uprising in 1918.

Not withstanding it was horrendous for all nations, I have plenty of "entente" family roots too, in this post I have just focused on my Polish family group. It is not difficult to see why those who survived did not wish to reflect.

Martin, so good that you are remembering them, those who died and those who survived WW1.

And thank you for reminding us that Christmas times were totally different 100 years ago.

I wonder how my great grandfather Gustav experienced Christmas 1915 – I do not know when he joined the army.

Christine

Greetings Christine.

I have only looked at Infantry regiments and it would appear that in peacetime all men would have to complete military service when they reached 20 years of age. I have not looked at Artillery men but I imagine they would be just the same. Not sure how they decided which branch they would choose could be just for central German areas, not sure they would trust Polish types with big guns.

So with Gustav born in 1889, same year as Andreas, he would have been expected to do "His Bit" in 1909. So when war comes round in 1914, Gustav would be sure to have been first to get the call back to the colours.

I could be wrong but I feel sure he would have been in service again for Christmas 1915.

Thinking about Jacob born in 1886, He was in Thorn, in 1909 doing his bit, and we know he was wounded in 1914 so he got an early call up. I am sure he was reporting to RIR61 in Gdansk (Danzig) Aug 1914.

Always happy to be corrected !

Hi Martin,

This is very interesting for me. I had no idea when during the war, soldiers started their service. Thus it makes it not unlikely that Gustav was back in the army already in 1914 or 1915. Did soldiers most often “go back” to the military units, where they had their first training – I mean the one in our cases in 1909?

Christine

Greetings Christine

I don't know if you saw this thread, so I asked the question there.

http://1914-1918.inv...44#entry2343501

In brief and basic terms :-

There were no definite rules so the reservist soldiers could be placed anywhere when called up for war duty.

Just having a think now about another Great Uncle, Michel Feledziak born in 1883. He would have been 32 in 1915, he must also have been a reservist too, I can't see how he could have avoided a war time call up when his two younger brothers were serving.

He survived both wars.

Martin

This portrait/photograph must be just slightly pre-war given that Jacob was seriously wounded in November 1914. (aged 28)

and at that time he is listed as being with Reserve Infanterie Regiment No61.

so this could be from training - just looking for some clues as to colours ?

Kindly sent to me by Patrick

post-103138-0-51942400-1451496021_thumb.

Martin, I can't look right now but the Friedag 1914 book and the Moritz charts should have something on colours.

Trajan

Greetings Trajan,

I am guessing that the Waffenrock will be Prussian blue - every watercolour set I ever saw included a "Prussian Blue" so that must be where it originates.

I imagine the piping on the front edge to be red and the buttons Gold or Brass colours.

That makes me think that the neck bit must be yellow like the shoulder tabs, I thought the neck bit, collar, was going to be red but the shade of the piping does not match so that makes me think it could be yellow or even white.

I am not sure what the light coloured item is, next to the weapon, and don't know how the Lanyard would appear.

But it is interesting trying to work it out.

I have done a number of internet searches for 1914 tunics/Waffenrocks and I have not noticed any yellow collars.

Happy New Year

Martin

Happy New Year to you as well!

Fascinating to see what is possible regarding the colouring.

Christine

Here is my attempt based on the chap on the left. Jacobs portrait does not appear to be a photograph more of a painting/sketch.

Just out of interest, what badge is being worn by the chap on the left ?

just done a search and now I think it is a Prussian Military long service badge.

post-103138-0-32775800-1451903545_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled across this thread and read about the IR 171 and the early October 1918 actions in the Argonne - great stuff, thanks for sharing. I am conducting additional research on IR 169, which was on their right flank, and the battle at what the Germans refer to as the Marienberg. I thought I would attach the following map from the US War Memorials book, which covers this section. I certainly welcome additional information members have on IR 169's activities in this section. All the best, John

Map Exermont  Romagne

Greetings John,

Thanks for bringing this issue back to the top and adding the area map.

(I have fished this entry from page 20 of this thread)

I am guessing that this is the area where the German 3rd and 5th Armies met along the front line opposing the 1st and 32nd Divisions of the American First Army.

To make it even more complex the French Fourth Army were also present.

IR 169 are the most Eastern regiment of the 52nd Division of the German 3rd army and IR171 are the most Western side of the 115th Division of the German 5th Army.

I hope that makes sense !! I think that's what is shown by the below Graphic. The smaller scale section on the left is from the history of German IR171, the right section is from the History of the 32nd American Division notes.

The regimental history mentions IR 169 and even utilised a machinegun section from IR169 to clear the main street in Gesnes on 8th October 1918

It will have been a hideous time for all the soldiers who endured these battles but reading about this history 100 years later is fascinating.

post-103138-0-06550000-1454251130_thumb.

Thanks Martin, that was really helpful. Regards, John