Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

Just a note about VERLUSTLISTEN.

you can see from the results below that the data is lacking in many respects. However for me studying my family anything was good.

Here is the result for Ernst Junger - He was from Heidelberg so there are just 3 hits. This is well short of the actual situation. The Umalat is also important. 

Junger.jpg

And here are the results for G* ( wildcard ) Lembke. I do not think he even gets a mention.

Lembke.jpg

To do the search yourself here is the blank again.

http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search?lang=en

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Martin;

I will have to work with it. But it is almost certain that the first listing is my father. He was from Frankfurt am Oder. And his worst wound was on 1916-12-28. On Morte Homme. I am assuming that the date given over to the right is the date that the wound listing was published, not the date of the wounding itself. His other more serious wound occurred in the closing days of the war, perhaps that why it was not listed. (In the course of using a variety of sources, I have often found that the coverage of military events broke down in the last couple of  months of the war.) I know details of his other two wounds from his oral history, which I have found to be extremely and surprisingly accurate, at least the events that I can cross-check with other sources, but there is nothing about them entered in his Militaerpass, so I would not expect them to show up in the Verlustlisten. I am presently very busy in the real world, but I will use this tool as soon as possible.

I also understand that, generally speaking,  the war-time medical records were not caught up in the destruction that occurred when the Prussian State Archive was fire-bombed in 1945. As my father probably had a dozen or more hospitalizations, especially in 1917, that might be a useful avenue with which to arrive at more understanding of his war-time experiences.

Greetings Bob -

Firstly. We have moved onto page 27 so you may have just missed my post about IR155 at the end of page 26.

Secondly, regarding the Verlustlisten, we are able to expand the search results by one level, so this is what you get from viewing the page for the first hit. the one which could be your Father.

So here is the record - which is a scan from a large circulation.

Georg Lembke - with a date of birth 5 December 1896 - and a description of a light wound.

you are right about the date being the date of the report and not the actual wounding.

I do not know what you think, but for me to see it in type - is real history.. sad but real history.

Georg LEMBKE.jpg

here is the link

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5510784

Martin;

I can only write for a bit; spousal unit and myself have just turned off the lights to slip into the arms of Morpheus.

Yes, I did miss your last post. 

The history of IR 155 will have the account of the lieutenant my father saved, and he mentions my father, but he thought it was one of his own men, from his regiment. I believe that the history includes a photo of the lieutenant and two others from 1918. He is hiding his right stump behind his back, in the picture.

You mentioned the FW of Storm Battalion Rohr; they had a small detachment of FW, but my father was detailed to them several times to provide more FW support. The history of S=B Rohr was written by an artillery officer who served with their "infantry guns", my father described their skill to me. But the history barely mentions FW, it is possible that the author, like some officers, found the FW a distasteful weapon.

The Verlustenlisten entry you provided was my father. The birth date was his, December 5, 1896. My grandfather had two families, and when his wife found out about the "love family" she poisoned him with Deadly Nightshade, and he was paralysed and had to resign his commission as an active officer. But he recovered and continued his service as a reserve officer. My father came from the "love family", with a Danish woman. My father's dogtags have her address, from Hamburg, stamped on them, not the Frankfurt a. O. address.

I will return to this, but I must sleep. Martin, thanks for your help.

Bob

A short entry in the Verlustenliste as "leicht verwundet" ("slightly wounded”) and what a story to be revealed!

Bob, I agree with Martin, you should write down your family’s history.

Martin, do you have any possible explanation about the wrong place of death for Johann Feledziak (Russia instead of France)?

Christine

A great story for family history for Bob. I am sure he has it all recorded in those pages and timelines, but he needs to marshall those thoughts and all those pages and get the first book done. Or start a thread on the GWF and we can all read it..

Christine - I have no idea why the church scribes recorded Russia as the place of death for both Johann and Anton, but I know for sure that Johann is at rest in France. 

I have a feeling that Anton was a member of IR155 - and his name will appear in the names of the dead at the back of the history of IR155.

I have ordered that history - so I will report back

Greetings Bob -

Firstly. We have moved onto page 27 so you may have just missed my post about IR155 at the end of page 26.

Secondly we are able to expand the search results by one level, so this is what you get from viewing the page for the first hit.

Georg Lembke - with a date of birth 5 December 1896 - and a description of a light wound.

you are right about the date being the date of the report and not the actual wounding.

Georg LEMBKE.jpg

It looks like the war dead from IR155 have already been digitised and appear in the denkmal projekt. I have looked through all the companies and Anton FELEDZIAK is not listed. So the mystery will continue. It is quite possible that Anton served with Johann and the 37 Fusiliers.

I have not seen a copy of the regimental history for Fusilier regiment 37 and they are not listed in Denkmalproject.

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2009/vl_ir155_wk1.htm

Martin,

you know about the search option of the denkmalprojekt database?!

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/search/suche.htm

Here you type under "Suchworte" first the family name in capitals and then the first name with first letter as capital and the others in small letters as shown in the example.

There are no findings for FELEDZIAK in this database - unfortunately.

Christine

P.S. According to this here http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/FR_37 there is a regimental history for the FR 37, nearest library for me would be Berlin.... http://www.worldcat.org/title/fusilier-regiment-v-steinmetz-westpreussisches-nr-37-im-weltkriege-1914-1918/oclc/315489719/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

AliceF : the search option you mention is not 100% useful ; I just checked : a soldier whom I am researching does not appear there THOUGH he is in the Verlustlisten, not in the regimental ones, but in the lists of the Jewish soldiers : http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/verlustlisten/rjf_wk1.htm

these lists follow the place where they were born - and if you don't know that, you must check all lists .....

Yes, you are right - it is not perfect - and actually I  have not figured out all the details, why it sometimes work and sometimes not and which lists are included and which not.

I contributed with two lists my self and when I search now, one of the list - a memorial - is searchable but the list of a regimental unit is not. So if you find what you are searching for, great, but if you do not, that doesn't mean it is not hidden somewhere. So my advice has to be taken with modification.

Christine

Hi Christine and Martine,

Because we have a fairly unique name - a google search normally looks through many, many pages for me. Sometimes there are misspellings so that is why I looked through all the companies of IR155, because it is the logical regiment for Anton, but there were no names of similar construction, therefore I have more waiting to do.

I have 1 example from the Verlustlisten, found for me by AOK4, of two letters missing for one of my Uncles's.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1269064

Felziak.jpg

• t or  (“tot”) – dead
  • gefallen – killed in action
  • † an seinen schweren Wunden – died because of his serious injuries
  • v. or verw. (“verwundet”) – wounded
  • l.v. (“leicht verwundet”) – slightly wounded
  • s.v. or schw. verw. (“schwer verwundet”) – seriously wounded
  • l.v.b.d.Tr. (“leicht verwundet, bei der Truppe”) – slightly wounded, but with the troops
  • Gefgsch. (“Gefangenschaft”) – POW
  • G + (“Gefangenschaft †”) – died as POW
  • G + is normally gerichtlich tot erklärt (declared dead by court).
  • A.N. (“Auslands-Nachricht”) – message from abroad
  • vermißt – missing in action
  • bisher vermißt, verwundet – missing until now, wounded
  • † infolge Krankheit – died because of illness
  • Res. Feldlaz. ("Reserve Feldlazarett") – Reserve field hospital or aid station
  • zum 3. Male verwundet – wounded for the 3rd time
  • durch Unfall schwer verletzt – seriously injured because of an accident

Martin,

Forgive me if you have already seen this...been away from this thread a bit and may have missed it.  Found this fellow and thought you may be interested.  Not sure if he is a relation with a misspelling or someone wholly unrelated.  I thought he was your Anton for a minute, but the DOB is very different:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5518177

-Daniel

FYI, all:

I just noticed that VL entries for some of my family have disappeared from the database, so I am not sure it is working properly.  My grandfather's one and only entry now fails to show up in the results.

-Daniel

Good find Daniel.

That Anton is from the right part of Poland and a very probable way of a mis-spelling the name, but the date of birth is going to rule him out.

But a good spot and I shall keep that result in mind though.

Anton.jpg

And yes Johann Feledziak the pionier has gone missing from the database too.

Martin

On 8/27/2016 at 12:56, AliceF said:

A short entry in the Verlustenliste as "leicht verwundet" ("slightly wounded”) and what a story to be revealed!

Bob, I agree with Martin, you should write down your family’s history.

Martin, do you have any possible explanation about the wrong place of death for Johann Feledziak (Russia instead of France)?

Christine

Christine;

50 years after the "light wounding" my father was angry at the designation. It spit bits of bone for over ten years. He emigrated to the US in late 1926, and in the US he felt a bit of bone in his wrist of his left arm. He went to a doctor, and exhibited the symptom, and asked the doctor how much he would charge to remove the bone splinter. The doctor said $20, so my father went home, boiled a razor blade in a pot on the stove, and opened his wrist and removed the bone splinter. As I said, I still have the principal bone splinter removed just after the wounding. Recurrent infections kept him in and out of hospital for most of 1917 and thereby probably kept him alive, as he averaged one wound per month when he was at the front.

Martin, I suspect I have hijacked your wonderful thread far too much, and I thank you and Christine for the guidance you have given me for the Verlustlisten tool. I am astonishingly busy now in the "secular" world, with managing real estate and a burst hot water pipe in my living room ceiling cutting off our hot water, but when I have a break I am going to use the tool, and also to search for other Flamm=Pioniere and other interesting characters. And I appreciate your encouragement in getting the two or three books out that I have already largely researched over the last 16 years. I really must. Thanks again.   

Bob,

No problem as it is all relevant and very interesting and relates to researching soldiers of the great war and in the Verdun battlegrounds. I should be happy to read your books when you get them going.

in the mean time , after you fix your pipes,  you could always start off a new thread and give us tasters or just drop them on here much like the incident above.

Daniel.

I have just checked the verlustlisten and both Emanuel and Johann's records have reappeared.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 14:41, Martin Feledziak said:

Good find Daniel.

That Anton is from the right part of Poland and a very probable way of a mis-spelling the name, but the date of birth is going to rule him out.

But a good spot and I shall keep that result in mind though.

Anton.jpg

And yes Johann Feledziak the pionier has gone missing from the database too.

Martin

Now that the bug has been sorted out there is now another Felisiak showing up named Adalbert, maybe a brother?

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/7177484

Greetings Daniel.

That would tend to imply that there was a FELISIAK family, although that place name,Fialow, Koschmin,

is difficult to find and only three other soldiers appear on the database from there.

Initially I had much trouble working out where various small villages were, for example Sonnenfeld, as they went by several different names.

The below are in the KROTOSZYN AREA. Which was home to Fusilier Regiment 37.

german names for polish places.jpg

4 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

Greetings Daniel.

That would tend to imply that there was a FELISIAK family, although that place name,Fialow, Koschmin,

is difficult to find and only three other soldiers appear on the database from there.

Initially I had much trouble working out where various small villages were, for example Sonnenfeld, as they went by several different names.

The below are in the KROTOSZYN AREA. Which was home to Fusilier Regiment 37.

german names for polish places.jpg

On 23-8-2016 at 11:29, Martin Feledziak said:

Now looking at the record for his Brother Johann Feledziak Killed in the same year. His entry has the very same last word. The date of death is just a day out but also indicates Russia. This is certainly wrong as he is buried in Consenvoye, France.

Therefore The entry for Anton is now suspect.

Johann Feledziak.jpg

Hello,

You may note "Roschki" as a place name which is also mentionned in the church book extracts. So that doesn't mean the place of death "Russia" as you thought some posts earlier...

Jan

Good point Jan.

so I have now ruled out Russia as the place of death for Anton

Here is a map of the area where my family originated. Roszki is in the middle. I know the family were living in Sonnenfeld, as that address appears on the 1906 Army Band postcard. The card was sent to his parents by Jacob Feledziak. You can see he added 'By ROSCHKI' in the address line. 

The Polish name for SONNENFELD  was ORPISZEW.

Postcard.jpg

Also Today I had a reply from Volksbund. I asked them if they held any details for Anton Feledziak. They have no record of him.

Homeland.jpg

I have now acquired the regimental history for IR155. It is 494 pages packed full of pictures and maps 

IR155 were brigaded together with Fusilier Regiment 37 and RIR37 so useful for plotting.

I do not think Anton was a member of this unit as his name does not appear in the back. 

There is still a possibility that he was with Fusilier Regiment 37 but their history is very hard to get hold of.

155.jpg 

The below is a current image from Google Street view in the main square in Ostrow Wielkopolski.

(shown bottom right in the corner of the map 2 posts up )

I have added a picture from the history of 155 - so not much change.

But almost certainly a "then and  now" candidate.

I am not sure that the statue in the 1914 picture remains. But all the buildings are correct.

Ostrowo.jpg