Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

Page 507 gave me the following

post-103138-0-97638400-1384535153_thumb.

So Now I know where he was killed and it is only a few Km's to his final resting place.

Look what turned up in the post this morning.

attachicon.gifNr 29.jpg

If only this book was in a language I could understand I would have an excellent historical WW1 narrative. It is packed with photos and facts and figures.

Is this the 5€ electronic version I recommended you to buy? If yes I suggest to forward to those who can help sifting through the contents for further answers

Does the book give any indication of exactly where he was serving when he died? (The Argonne is a pretty big clump of trees covering a pretty wide area (basically, the Champagne battlefields to Verdun!))

There's a very good chance that I'd be able to supply you with a trench map of the area if you can find out.

Dave

Egbert,

it is the PDF electronic version and appears to have an impressive display of photos, facts and figures, and a good 550 pages of words I would love to be able to understand but - too difficult for me.

Dave,

I feel sure that what I want to find is in there somewhere but I will need a guide to extract the necessary information in a format I can comprehend.

Look what turned up in the post this morning.

attachicon.gifNr 29.jpg

If only this book was in a language I could understand I would have an excellent historical WW1 narrative. It is packed with photos and facts and figures.

Well done! I have one of those for my own grandfather and I cannot read mine either...yet... :)

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I would love to be able to read it, but it will have to wait, I can see from the pictures that they were an impressive collection of bridge builders and very handy people. I suppose that is why they got the title of "Pioneer"

Johann was killed early on in 1915 so he only played a small part in the history.

When I went over to France last year I visited the Verdun region and called in at the German Cemetery at Consenvoye and found the grave of 1 of the 2 listed Johann Feledziak's, but I did not go to Servon Melzicourt.

I will return to find this fellow. And hopefully have a better knowledge of him.

Thank You Egbert.

I have very limited information about my Great Uncle. Johann Feledziak. I don't even have his date of birth but I have recently discovered that his parents were married in Pogorzela, Poland, in 1882 so I would suspect he was born just after 1882.

I know that his death date was 22 April 1915 and today I have seen that he was listed killed at Argonnen.

So anything from the PDF would be good for me.

I have just been looking through the last few pages of

Egberts Trunk story and I think there are recent images of this very building.

Well they look the same to me.

I have never been to Poland so I am getting a list up of places to visit in "My Homeland"

Martin,my photo is from Gnesen (Gniezno) same province but different town. BTW, my Grandfather was stationed in Posen (Poznan) and attended a course some time in 1915

Fantastic,

Thanks Egbert

I think this is all coming together nicely

Thanks you for your assistance in this historical mistery.

Martin

So this is the camp picture from the PiBtl29 chronic. At 20.4. 2. Kompanie started mining activities to blow up French saps and trenches at so called "Bagatelle Werk". something happened 2 days later with Johan most likely there during underground mine warfare....

post-80-0-75962900-1384612262_thumb.jpg

Wow,

Very impressed with this research, thank you very much, Egbert.

I am truly amazed that this information can be found so long after these tragic events

I am happy that I now have a good knowledge of this lost soul

and also a reason for another visit to the region,

But this time it will be to Servon.

Where this "Pioneer" is at rest.

Here's a trenchmap showing the Bagatelle positions located to the north of La Harazee in the Bois de la Grurie. Though this map dates from October 1916, the early 1915 frontline can be worked out on this (the frontline is, by the date of this map, further to the south). Of particular interest in this case are the line of easily discernible mine craters that can be seen marking the 1914/1915 frontline. These craters are still present in the woods today (along with 2 or 3 pretty unknown of German monuments and other remains)...

post-357-0-14652700-1384618421_thumb.jpg

Bagatelle on a modern IGN map...still named as such (though named in a slightly different location)...

post-357-0-75440400-1384618813_thumb.jpg

It's position in relation to La Harazee....

post-357-0-43721700-1384619024_thumb.jpg

...and its location in relation to more major places....

post-357-0-67064400-1384619224_thumb.jpg