Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4TH Dorset soldiers with 2 MIC's?

The Guardroom

Hoping someone may be able to help advise me on the below find.

I am tracing a Gt Auntie's sons who it seems both served in the 1/4th Dorsets in Mesopotamia and India.

One of the sons died at home having contracted double pneumonia - Pte Edward Thomas 202999 1/4th Dorsets.

The other Pte Victor Earney 203000 also contracted Enteric fever and was finally shipped home in 1919.

On checking their MIC's it seesm they both have 2, as both also seemd to have originally enlisted into the Wlitshire Regt

I have Victors service record and it does state that he emlisted in 1913 into the 4th Bn Wilts, but no date on when he transferred to the Dorsets.

Why would they have 2 MIC's? I have seen many men with other 4 Regts / corps on one MIC.

Victor was originally Pte 2003 4th Wilts, then 5167 Dorsets (not sure Bn?) and then 203000 in the 1/4th Dorsets according to his records.

Edward was originally Pte 1627 in ? Bn Wilts, 5166 Dosets and then 202999 1/4/th (prseume as same number as Victor) Dorsets.

I presume that they transferred to the Dorsets together as their numbers are together.

Any help or advise is very welcome.

Thanks,

Alan

On checking their MIC's it seesm they both have 2, as both also seemd to have originally enlisted into the Wlitshire Regt

I have Victors service record and it does state that he emlisted in 1913 into the 4th Bn Wilts, but no date on when he transferred to the Dorsets.

Why would they have 2 MIC's? I have seen many men with other 4 Regts / corps on one MIC.

Alan

Nothing more than a clerical 'mix-up'. In both cases a MIC was originally created for the BWM & Victory Medal and then another raised for the Territorial Force War Medal. Somewhere along the line the clerks responsible realised that the two cards related to the same man and cross-referenced accordingly.

As for the date of transfer it is in the record, Victor transferred to 1/4th Dorsets on 24th October 1916, the same date that he embarked on H.T. "Ellenga" in Bombay.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve for quick response. I only have 4 pages of his burnt records and presume that the line through the 1/4th Wilts on the Casualty form indicates that this is when the 1/4th Dorsets stamp was added to start the new detail.

I don't have ancestry look up, so could you also clarfy if the MICs state any other details for Edward and Victor please.

I might be able to fill you in on there time with the 1/4th Dorsets and dates etc. I'm not on my computer at the moment though, so it will have to wait until later i'm afraid. I'll send you a message in the next 24 hours or so.

Regards,

Elliot

I don't have ancestry look up, so could you also clarfy if the MICs state any other details for Edward and Victor please.

Sorry but that would constitute a 'lookup' which is strictly prohibited under the rules of the forum :thumbsup: . However, from memory, I seem to recall that when I looked at them, the cards contained no details additional to those which you are already in possession of.

Regards

Steve

There numbers would indicate they arrived at the 1/4th Dorsets with a draft from the Wilts R in October 1916.

Elliot