The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A map of Mulebbis north to the Nahr el Auja, please.

T8HANTS

Is there anybody who would be kind enough to post a map of the Mulebbis district north to the Nahr el Auja, including if possible the horse shoe loop on which was sited a strong point called Northampton Castle.

I have the map that was published in the 5th Soffolk's history, but the annotation is so small I am finding it difficult to read.

Thanks.

Gareth

Thank you very much for that, I was however trying to find a map closer to the one from the Suffolk's history.

There must have been a considerable amount of development from the time of the PEF maps to the Great War. Principally I am trying to find the names of the newer woods in the area and the smaller villages. Some of which are mentioned in Battalion and Brigade war diaries, but are not very easy to read in the Suffolk's map.

I suppose I am hoping for one of the military maps, or along the lines of the Falls maps in the OH, which I must get one day.

I should have made myself clearer on that point, sorry, but thank you.

Gareth

Gareth,

I'm sorry that I cannot help you with a map; nothing that I have seems to cover that area.

Indeed, I must confess to being ignorant of the operations in this particular vicinity.

In the process of looking around however, I have come across something else which, though of no direct help, may nevertheless be of interest here: A Bavarian aerial shot of part of the river

As far as I can make out the aerial covers roughly the stretch highlighted here

826a8d0a-d8a2-4139-be2e-264bcbff9292_zps

for the Bavarian aerial photograph see http://www.gda.bayern.de/bestaende/viewer/viewer.php?show=/bestaende/palaestina/bayhsta_bs_palaestina_0057

Good luck

Michael

Mate,

Sorry all my maps of this area cover south of there and cover the Bald Hill area.

S.B

Thanks all.

The aerial photo is very interesting, as it shows how that area actually was at the time. The older PEF maps give the impression it was almost empty.

Steve my pet Battalion were involved in an attack on a feature known as Round Hill, which I think was in the same area. Bald Hill is on the Suffolks map, but not Round Hill.

Gareth