Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The National Archives Bookshop

Anneca

Having received an email from the National Archives Bookshop today and Christmas not far away, I was wondering which books I should put on my Santa list. My interest is in Gallipoli and the Western Front and having already read a few of the books listed, I wondered if members had any recommendations. The books I might like to read are:

A Chaplain at Gallipoli

Six Weeks - The Short and Gallant Life of the British Officer in the 1st World War

Meeting the Enemy: The Human Face of the Great War

Tracing British Battalions on the Somme

fullThe National Archives' Bookshop [nationalarchives@enews.nationalarchives.gov.uk] range of First World War books

I would appreciate any feedback on any of these books from members.

Anne

Just finished, "Six Weeks" recently. An excellent informative and well researched book that goes some way towards dispelling the "lions led by donkey's" attitude. I would certainly recommend adding this book to your Xmas list, you will not be disappointed.

Allan.

Thank you Allan, much appreciated.

Anne

Six weeks in the Works shop for £3.

Bernard

Having received an email from the National Archives Bookshop today and Christmas not far away, I was wondering which books I should put on my Santa list. My interest is in Gallipoli and the Western Front and having already read a few of the books listed, I wondered if members had any recommendations. The books I might like to read are:

A Chaplain at Gallipoli

Six Weeks - The Short and Gallant Life of the British Officer in the 1st World War

Meeting the Enemy: The Human Face of the Great War

Tracing British Battalions on the Somme

Thanks Anne for posting this link. It is sometimes difficult for those of us living in N.A. to know what is available.

H.

fullThe National Archives' Bookshop [nationalarchives@enews.nationalarchives.gov.uk] range of First World War books

I would appreciate any feedback on any of these books from members.

Anne

Just finished, "Six Weeks" recently. An excellent informative and well researched book that goes some way towards dispelling the "lions led by donkey's" attitude. I would certainly recommend adding this book to your Xmas list, you will not be disappointed.

Allan.

I would strongly disagree. The title alone raises many questions. The claim relating to Six Weeks is simply nonsense, as is his ridiculous claim that "other theatres were decidedly less hazardous". there is no support for these claims in the data. An interesting read with lots of valuable content, but the interpretation and analysis is extremely poor. Highly subjective with zero reference to substantive data.

MG

Thank you for your comments Martin, especially the valuable content which you mention. It will be interesting to see how any other members who have read the book rate it.

Anne

On the widwe topic, I have often found real bargains among the bargain shelves in the bookshop itself. These mostly do not appear on their email offers as they tend to be in small quantities. For the occasional visitor to Kew like myself, the bookshop is always wirth 20 minutes investigation.

Keith