Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Pals living in Northampton or researching Northampton Soldiers.

Gunner R.A.

I have a soldier named Ernest Lyne from my local memorial in West Yorkshire, who I believe is also commemorated on the Grove Road Methodist War Memorial in Northampton.

LYNE, Ernest, b. Northampton , e. Keighley, r. Northampton, 11705, Sergeant, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 10/07/16,. East Yorkshire Regiment, 7th Battalion.

I have done the usual checks, NRGW, De Ruvigny, MIC and W0363 etc (couldnt find his service record).

What I dont have is his parents names or his date of birth, and hence I dont have any census returns for him.

I am hoping that since he obviously had close ties to Northampton he would be mentioned in one of the local newspapers of the time. If any Pals are living in or researching any soldiers or memorials in Northampton I would gratefully appreciate any help or advice regarding Northampton newspapers etc,

Kind regards,

Pete.

• Admin

I imagine Mr Beeby will be along sometime and will help you out on this one.

Michelle

hi pete,

the chapel is just up the road from me I will try and get you a photo the only problem it isnt allways open so I will ask my niece who helps with the girl guides there when I can get in.

I will get a photo but when is the question

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

hi pete,

the chapel is just up the road from me I will try and get you a photo the only problem it isnt allways open so I will ask my niece who helps with the girl guides there when I can get in.

I will get a photo but when is the question

Thanks Biff that's appreciated, but please don't go to any trouble as a picture of the memorial is actually available on line, nice gesture though,

cheers,

Pete.

ah ok then mr beebys yer man im researching 3 local memorials hes not one of my men

I imagine Mr Beeby will be along sometime and will help you out on this one.

Michelle

Sorry for the delay - must have been having a mid-afternoon snooze..... :whistle:

The "clipping" I have is partly missing since I was mainly taking photos of Northamptonshire Regiment men and didn't cover all the angles on non-Northamptons men.

post-6536-0-21109600-1382982152_thumb.jp

I believe it reads:

The death in action on July 10th is reported of Sergt. Ernest Lines of the East Yorkshire Regiment, son of Mr William Lines of 64 Derby Road. Deceased who was ..... years of age, was employed at the B..... Machine Co., Otley, where he enlisted in September 1914, going to the front in the following May. He was well known in athletic circles having played for Rushden Fosse in football and the Kettering Road Prims' Cricket Club. He has two brothers serving. His Captain, in a letter home states that Sergt. Lines was killed instantly by a bullet during the advance on Mametz Wood.

The 1916 Northampton Roll of Honour shows the following at 62 Derby Road, Northampton:

Alfred Lyne, Private, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment

Ernest Edward Lyne, Sergeant, 7th East Yorks

Herbert Lyne, Quartermaster Sergeant, 1st Irish Fusiliers

Steve.

The family appear at 62 Derby Road in 1911:

William Lyne 56
Amy Lyne 26
Arthur Lyne 28
Herbert Lyne 18
Alfred Lyne 15
May Lyne 20
Winnifred Lyne 10
William is a widow and a greengrocer. Ernest, however, is missing.
They are at 25 Freehold Street in Northampton in 1901:
William Line 45
Elizabeth Line 46
Arthur Line 18
Amy Line 16
May A Line 10
Ernest Line 8
Alfred Line 5
Winifred Line 1
Anne Chapman 75
William was born at North Crawley, Bucks. about 1854-1856 which will help you find them on the censuses.
Steve.

Of course Pete.

I think I have a space or two free at the moment!

Steve.

Grove Road Methodist Church has since become the Queensgrove Methodist Church, following amalgamation with another local chapel. Its been a while since I visited, so I can't remember the war memorials, but it might be worth contacting them to ask if they produced a magazine, or have any archives.

Contact details are:

Queensgrove Methodist Church

Kettering Rd, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1 4AW

Tel: 01604 635827

http://www.methodist-churches-northampton.org.uk/index.php/our-churches/queensgrove

Ernest is comemmorated on the Northampton Borough War Memorial on nearby Abington Square

Hi.

Ernest is noted as LYNE E.E. on the Abington Square Memorial.

Alan Clarke has the Roll of Honour on line here which also mentions Ernest.

http://www.familyhistorynorthants.co.uk/soldier%20index%20roll%20of%20honour.htm

Sandy

The Northampton Independent August 5th 1916 Page 8 notes

The death in action

on July 10th is re-

ported of Sergt. Ern-

est Lines, of the East

Yorkshire Regt., son

of Mr William Lines

of 64, Derby Road.

Deceased, who was 23

years of age, was em-

ployed at the Brem

ner Machine Co's at

Otley, where he en-

listed in September,

1914, going to the

front in the follow-

ing May. He was

well known in athletic

circles, having played for

Rushden Fosse at

football and the Ket-

tering Road Prims' Cricket Club. He has

two brothers serving. His Captain, in a

letter home states that Sergt. Lines was

killed instantly by a bullet during an

advance near Mametz Wood.

Sandy

I think the company is the Bremner Machine Company who apparently made printing presses.

Steve.

I was just trying to edit it then I got a message.

Will do now as I have found a better image.

Sandy

It's one of those tricky little ones on the spine of the page... They are never easy to get a good image of them!

Steve.

Mine isn't Steve.

Sandy

The Northampton Independent August 5th 1916 Page 8 notes

Sandy

Thanks Sandy, much appreciated, that's saved me some time as i was about to ask someone to do a look up for me in the Northampton Record Office, kind regards,

Pete.

I think the company is the Bremner Machine Company who apparently made printing presses.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, and yes you are right, one of several based in the town at that time, many of the men on the local memorial where connected to this industry,thanks for all your help mate,

cheers,

Pete.

I would have offered to send you a copy of the black and white image I have Pete.

Still no need.

I think what little I have offer this forum is always over-shadowed.

Best stick to where I feel of use.

Sandy