Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for roll call of 1st South African Infantry survivors of Delvi

Lynn Derriman

My Great Grandfather, Samuel Wells Green 3970 1st South African Infantry Regiment, was apparently one of the lucky survivors of Delville Wood 14-20/07/1916.
His service records do NOT indicate any reason (furlough/injury) why he wouldn't have been with his regiment at Delville Wood, but I'm trying to find a roll call which will certainly have been taken immediately after the South African Brigade retired from Delville Wood on 19/20 July 1916 to establish conclusively that he was there.

Anybody have an idea where such post-battle roll call records would be held?

Thanks for reading
Lynn

The unit War Diary is at Kew under reference WO95/1780 and runs from Jun 1916 to Feb 1918 when they were part of 9 Division.

There may be a Roll Call recorded there.

Thanks for that reference Sotonmate - I have ordered a copy from Kew. Now the hardest bit is patiently waiting for it. Fingers crossed for a roll call!!

• 11 months later...

Hey Lynn
I can see this blog will soon be a year old. I'm new here on the forum, but if you're still looking for information on Samuel W. Green, please write again. I have his ww1 Victory medal and some information on him.

On the medal is written. 2nd C/W.O. S.W.Green 1ST S.A.I. = (1. South African Infantry)

Regards Niels