Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What regiment is this

oxlade134

I have a Archilbald Blincow b 1886 who doesn't appear in TNA or ancestry military records but is recorded in the Inns of Courts Officers Training Corps listings at http://archive.org/stream/innsofcourtoffic00erri/innsofcourtoffic00erri_djvu.txt

The entry says

BLINCOW, Archibald Brown
3/D'7760, 23/11/15. BLINCOW, Archibald Brown
3/D'7760, 23/11/15. R.O.M.S.; (alt. No. U O.C.B.); demob.
19/5/19. 11 Greenway, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire.

My query is what does R.O.M.S.; (alt. No. U O.C.B.) mean is this a regiment?

Roger

UOCB: University Officer cadet Battalion, possibly. ROMS, no idea, I'm afraid.

It actually reads " Blincow Archibald Brown 3/D/7760, 23/11/15, R.Q.M.S.; (att No 14 O.C.B.) demob 19/5/19 11 Greenway, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire "

Go to other formats, and read online Click :thumbsup:

Regimental Quarter-master-Sergeant or similar, not sure what the rest is? O.C.B. Officer Commanding Battalion?

Mike

Officer Cadet Battalion - i.e. UK officer training unit.

Steve.

It actually reads " Blincow Archibald Brown 3/D/7760, 23/11/15, R.Q.M.S.; (att No 14 O.C.B.) demob 19/5/19 11 Greenway, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire "

Using the reference 'breakdown' on pages 70 & 71 of the book shows that Archibald Brown Blincow joined the Corps on 23/11/1915, served in 3 and 'D' Companies and attained the rank of Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant in the Corps. He was attached to No.14 Officer Cadet Battalion and demobilized on 19/5/1919. Permanent address as 11 Greenway, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire.

Steve

Thanks both Steve's. I also notice on page 72

Note-" Although every effort has been made to give an accurate record in the following pages, no details are to be quoted or made use of in any way as official. "

Mike

Mike and Steve

Thanks for the direction/interpretation makes sense to me now. No14 OCB was Berhampstead group so that also fits nicely.

Cheers

Roger