Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bamber_Bridge_Man

A digitisation project for all the memorials, men, women and organisations from the local area who were involved in the Great War.
Description
South Ribble comprises the area immediately to the south of Preston, Lancashire, seperated from the city by the River Ribble. It includes the town of Leyland, the prominent villages of Bamber Bridge, Walton-le-Dale and Longton and the township of Penwortham amongst others.

There are numerous memorials throughout the area, civic and religious. Some are in public places and some are within churches and parish halls. I plan to digitise all these memorials and also document the many men who served and the people on the home front. This has mainly been an individual effort so far, but I have been assisted by Churchwardens, Vicars and others in my work.

I am about half way through transcriptions. When I launch the website, I plan to have all memorials transcribed and photographed. Then the research will begin in earnest on the people remembered and their families. Part of the plan is to get the local communities involved via the Churches and the local press.

Before I can publish anything, though, I need to raise the finance for web-hosting and support. I estimate that will cost about £700 over 10 years. I plan to raise this money through crowdfunding.

The facebook site will aim to send updates on a regular basis. Please visit and give the page a 'like'. https://www.facebook.com/southribble.gw

Thank you for reading.

Charlie O'Donnell

I've previously gathered a bit of information about the bellringers at Penwortham during the war, I'll try to dig it out if it's of interest.

Yes please... all contributions are very welcome. I will acknowledge all helpers on the site when published.

Regards,

Charlie.

David.... do you have any information on the Samlesbury St.Leonard the Less changeringer memorial dedicated to Gunner John Taylor R.G.A?

Only that he's also recorded on the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers roll of honour (all Lancashire ringers can be seen via http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/societies/details.php?id=18&name=Lancashire&warID=1 ). Alan Regin who's responsible for the roll may have heard of it - and would be interested to know of it if he hasn't already. His contact details can be found on the main Great War roll of honour page http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/gtw/

Penwortham also have photos in the tower, but they to have only done that for those who volunteered early in the war, and the brother of one of them was conscripted later and killed and so isn't shown.