Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Does this Sleeve Indicate

BRONNO

Can someone point out for me the details on this Sergeant of the Robin Hood Battalion sleeve please, is it 20 years service etc. Notts and Derby Regt. BRONNO.

post-30693-0-74884200-1382910644_thumb.j

The four five-point stars are an Efficiency Badge (Volunteers), being "efficient in rifle drill and practice for five years". First year, you got a diamond and then the star after four more successive 'returns'. Star over diamond for six, seven, eight and nine years; then two stars etc.

So this is 20 years. Six (30 years) is known.

His layout for four (or five stars, if one is obscured) is incorrect: it should be three horizontally, with the fourth over the central one.

The four-point star at the top of the sleeve is for 'proficient sergeants' - not sure of the criteria to be judged 'proficient' other than a sergeant had to acquire it within a year of promotion.

The crossed swords, with what I presume is a crown above, is for either cavalry swordsmanship or gymnastic instruction, and if Notts & Derby we shall assume the latter.

As for actual rank, this is a dense minefield I'll leave others to cross.

And all of the above is to be credited to David Langley (Grumpy) and Denis Edwards's British Army Proficiency Badges, which I hope I have interpreted correctly.

Cheers,

GT.

Many thanks for your reply and it is a pre war Robin Hood Battalion picture. BRONNO.

Thanks also for the book recommendation........... :thumbsup:

Thanks also for the book recommendation........... :thumbsup:

........but good luck finding a copy at a sensible price!

I know you are looking at £40 - £70..................... :w00t: