Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cove PoW camp (Hampshire)

Roger D

I have recently found a few references to a WW1 camp at Cove. As an ex resident of Cove that was news to me. I suspect it was a relatively small agricultural camp but does anyone know if there is anything out there about this camp? There are a couple of items for me to check at the National Archives but seemingly not much beyond that?

Thank you.

Southwood Barracks or Guillemont Barracks are the only possibilities that I can think of in the Cove area, but I always thought they were of WWII vintage. It may be worth asking at the Aldershot Military Museum on the Queen's Avenue. The only local WW1 PoW camp I was aware of was just outside Frimley Green.

Sepoy

Cove was a working camp under the administrative control of Dorchester. In March 1919 it was in charge of 130 working camps. It is mentioned in the Prisoner of War

Information Bureau: Places of Internment, January 1919, and Graham Mark's book Prisoners in British Hands (Postal History Society, 2007) states that it also in PWIB lists for January and May 1919. Unfortunately, the exact location is not mentioned.

Bootneck

Thank you for that. The Camp features in a couple of trials in the local paper but no address is listed.

My gut reaction is that it was probably out somewhere near the modern Totlands estate. The Cove Green area was used for RAE accommodation whilst the part of Cove closest to the A325 was occupied by big houses and estate gardens. Totlands area was still agricultural land then I believe.