Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Army Forms

IPT

33 minutes ago, Deb R said:

I found this topic today and am clutching at straws really.  I'm researching my great grandfather who's military life is a bit of a mystery the photo the family always assumed was him in his WW1 uniform turns out to be a Boer war uniform and medals but no one in the older members of the family know anything about it.  We only have a few of his WW1 records that my uncle sent me one and I have found more from, he said that his records were part of the burnt collection so there might not be more to find,  from my understanding he was at some point with a Gloucestershire regiment and this must be where he attested which if we knew that would help, however he was then a gunner with RGA I'm told they are made up from men from different units so very hard to trace where he might have been during WW1 we know by family he was injured in the thigh he never spoke much of it other than  the big gun he was operating was shelled and he was only survivor.  It seems then he spends some time in 23 rd Clyde fire command and then transferred to labour corps with B2 medical it seems. The Boer War part remains a mystery as he would have been only 15 his age on these records is out by 2 years as he was born in 1885 not 1883, which for WW1 he would have had no need to lie about his age and the soldier in the photo we habe is of a very young man.

so I was curious on this transfer paper what the list of forms were mention as two are hand written which is what I was searching when I found this page.  

I will attempt to upload in the hope someone here can tell me.

thank you 

Deb 

IMG_1160.JPG

Hi Deb,

His overseas service with the R.G.A dates from 1916 or later,  until his " permanent and compulsory transfer to the Labour Corps Scottish Command, discharge and transfer centre, at most beneficial rate of pay", on 19/11/1918. 

If you start a new thread in the  "Soldiers" section of the forum,  giving his details " Edward Clark 139450, 23rd (Clyde) Fire Command. R.G.A"  as a title, one of the Royal Artillery experts should be able to tell you when and where he enlisted and served.

Edited by GWF1967

His full name is Edward Albert Clark but some records they add an e to Clark with complicated things too.  We did find an AE Clarke in 2nd Gloucestershire regiment with a service number but he would habe been too young, although in saying that Teds wife Daisy was from military family her grandfather and great grandfather and uncles etc served with 60th royal rifles her grandfather enlisted at 14, but we have his records.

blessings

Deb

2 minutes ago, Deb R said:

Ok thanks for the tip I have pretty much given up hope of finding anything else out but will give it a shot.

i also have this 

IMG_1158.JPG

Attested to the Gloucestershire Regiment 10/12/1915 but had transferred to the R.G.A. before proceeding overseas as there is no mention of the Gloucestershire reg on his Index card or Medal roll.

2 minutes ago, Deb R said:

His full name is Edward Albert Clark but some records they add an e to Clark with complicated things too.  We did find an AE Clarke in 2nd Gloucestershire regiment with a service number but he would habe been too young, although in saying that Teds wife Daisy was from military family her grandfather and great grandfather and uncles etc served with 60th royal rifles her grandfather enlisted at 14, but we have his records.

blessings

Deb

If you put all the information you have in a new thread you may be surprised by what else the good folk here might find.

Yeah and that's the whole brick in the wall is not having his Gloucestershire regiment number.  And the whole mystery of the family photo that graced the previous generations lounge rooms they all assumed it was Ted inWW1 but it's wrong medals and uniform.  They all insist it's him ... but it's a mystery :-) 

IMG_1134.JPG

Thank you will do 

blessings

deb

• 1 year later...

An addition to the list, with acknowledgement to David Porter:

AFB 104-85 Information to relative regarding enquiry, so far as is known, still serving with his corps

Max

• 1 year later...
On 28/10/2013 at 06:15, IPT said:

Army Form O 1810 Daily Orders Pt II

Is this another name for the daily battalion "Routine Orders"?  

The reference to O1810 is in my GF in law's active service record (B103).   I've obtained a copy of the B213 Form (Field Return), and it's missing the page with his name on it.

17 hours ago, jay26thBn said:

Is this another name for the daily battalion "Routine Orders"?  

O 1810 was an Army form which was required to be submitted under Army Order 149 of 1914 in respect of Proficiency Pay under the the Pay Warrant. This said:

"Army Form form O 1614 will be rendered in support of all first charges and for all restorations except for those cases in which proficiency pay has has been forfeited by men readmitted to hospital solely for the administration of a dose of salveson when the restorations will be supported by an entry on Army Form O 1810." - (info from Terry Reeves)

Here's the form in use - https://60thbattalioncefca.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/part-ii-daily-orders-no-3-january-9-1917.pdf

1 minute ago, IPT said:

They do have O 1810, within the routine orders, but I wouldn't know where to start.

thanks Mate.  

I've recently contacted the AWM and they don't have the RO's for the 26th AI Bn during the Gallipoli campaign.  Here's their response:

"I'm unaware of the designation for those particular forms, however the following forum may be of assistance - https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/201639-list-of-army-forms/. It appears that one of the contributors may have a copy of the 'Classified list and alphabetical index of army forms and books / War Office, 1916', which will hopefully hold the answer to your question.

According to the index, 'Class C' forms relate to 'Staff and Departments', and 'Class O' forms relate to 'Financial Personal Vouchers'. However, I have located a reference to army form O1810 on the British Archives website that would fit the entry in Frank's service record better.

Regrettably, whilst I have been able to locate a copy of the above-mentioned publication in relation to the Second World War, I have been unable to locate a copy of this earlier edition in our library collection."

Their link led me to your post, hence my post to you.  

• 1 year later...

I came upon an example of Army Form  V. 4002 a couple of days ago, pasted inside one of the admission registers for the 3rd battalion of the Hampshire Volunteers. Their muster roll was in Army Book 216.

• 3 months later...

Army Form B 75 31 Recruiter's Diary [Monthy variant it seems]

See in: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/298428-mystery-page-on-service-record-help-please

M

• 1 month later...

To those who set this up, and added information. . It's a fine resource for historians to use. Well done, and thank you from the  community.

• 2 months later...

Was there an Army Form W5070?

A manuscript note in a Soldier's Effects Register states that an Army Form W5070 had been sent, probably to the grandfather acting in loco parentis of a soldier who had died of wounds. 

Was this a known form, or just a mistake for the AF W5080 regarding who should receive the King's Scroll and bronze Memorial Plaque?

Clive

2 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Was there an Army Form W5070?

A manuscript note in a Soldier's Effects Register states that an Army Form W5070 had been sent, probably to the grandfather acting in loco parentis of a soldier who had died of wounds. 

Was this a known form, or just a mistake for the AF W5080 regarding who should receive the King's Scroll and bronze Memorial Plaque?

Clive

W 5070 did exist, but may have been an internal form, as there do not seem to be any existing copies of it.

See this snippet;

"In the case of deceased or insane soldiers in respect of whom Army Form O1815 (or equivalent report) has already been rendered, and of men who have died or become insane since discharge, Army Form W5070 will have been forwarded by the War Office to the Paymaster for insertion of the gratuity or balance of gratuity due. A recapitulation of the credits notified each day on Army Form W5070 will be forwarded to the Secretary of the War Office, Imperial Institute, London, SW7 with the relative forms. The charge against Army Votes in these cases will be made by the War Office direct."

8 hours ago, IPT said:

W 5070 did exist, but may have been an internal form, as there do not seem to be any existing copies of it.

See this snippet;

"In the case of deceased or insane soldiers in respect of whom Army Form O1815 (or equivalent report) has already been rendered, and of men who have died or become insane since discharge, Army Form W5070 will have been forwarded by the War Office to the Paymaster for insertion of the gratuity or balance of gratuity due. A recapitulation of the credits notified each day on Army Form W5070 will be forwarded to the Secretary of the War Office, Imperial Institute, London, SW7 with the relative forms. The charge against Army Votes in these cases will be made by the War Office direct."

I have looked long and hard for that form (including asking archives etc) - there certainly doesn't appear to be any surviving copies.

Craig

Thanks both, it was certainly worth asking.  It suggests that the note in the Effects Register was itself for internal information, rather than recording a form sent to the deceased's family.

Clive 

5 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Thanks both, it was certainly worth asking.  It suggests that the note in the Effects Register was itself for internal information, rather than recording a form sent to the deceased's family.

Clive 

Correct - the form was between the war office and the regimental paymasters.

Craig

• 2 months later...

Deleted as I have realised I have misunderstood the record I was looking at and it is no longer relevant.  Sorry

Edited by fumblina
Substantial error making post not relevant

• 1 year later...

It seems local recruiting offices obtained additional stocks of B 2065 in 1914 by commissioning a local printing firm - here's one by Kenrick & Jefferson of West Bromwich.  I have also found an example from a firm of Birmingham printers.

West Brom recruiting office - own stationey by Kenrick Jefferson in 1914 - snip.png