Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Army Forms

IPT

Here are a couple of pages that may be of interest. Apologies if the phone puts them in sideways but operating on the phone from under a tree in the rain to get a hot spot is not a lot fun. Although I can pick up posts with varying degrees of reliabity on 3G at my phoneless home.

post-8133-0-25398200-1383924690_thumb.jp

Let's try this other one as well.

post-8133-0-59967300-1383924956_thumb.jp

Edited by fv1620

You are a goldmine, fv1620. Or should I call you Truck 1 ton, air portable, launcher, Hornet for short?

Hornet yes indeed! But given your location I can see the connection :)

We still have a Malkara in a museum!

You do actually have a Hornet protoype still over there P3 I think. I spoke to the owner a couple months ago when he was over here. Unfortunately didn't meet as I was on holiday. The Hornet I restored & had for 14 years is back in Bovington Tank Museum. Now just have Pig & Shorland. I have a large collection of EMERs and Army publications about 4,000. From 1807 to present.

So was pleased to see this thread having the 1916 catalogue of forms also have a 1960s catalogue which makes an interesting comparison.

I now have a proper internet connection. I tried to rotate my earlier images but it looks as if editing is not feasible. Anyway here is the front cover & inner page of the book.

I note the last entry for W is W 3413 although list goes as far as W 3575 but the subjects were yet to be allocated.

I have a 1960s catalogue that goes to W 9807. I have a Prisoners of War Post Card dated 1940 which I believe is W 3494. Was it available in GW? If so is it much like the attached?

post-8133-0-67503900-1384371854_thumb.jp

post-8133-0-54681800-1384371889_thumb.jp

post-8133-0-14706100-1384371907_thumb.jp

W.3494 seems to have been "recycled" in WW2. In WW1, it had been for information for a man to be discharged. It's interesting to see the actual letter categories above. Also, that there was still no Z in 1916. Shame, because I can find lots of references to missing Z forms but not the title.

By the way, i've been delayed in updating the main list because of a computer problem (as it's too big to edit in the thread and has to be pasted in), but I have now resolved this and will get to it asap.

Not much in the Z department even in the 1960s!

Sorry to go out of era but it does show what Z is for. Unfortunately preface note (E) is missing.

post-8133-0-60207600-1384374485_thumb.jp

Addition to W.

Army Form W 3336 Army Ordnance Department Return of Local Purchase Orders placed during month ended......191 . [October 1917 imprint]

Thanks for all the updates.

I've finally caught up with the additions, and we now have the category for each letter (although not for R and S).

920 forms so far..!

I've finally caught up with the additions, and we now have the category for each letter (although not for R and S).

Neither of those are in my 1960s catalogue.

Are there any letters in the 1916 list that need expanding?

Neither of those are in my 1960s catalogue.

Are there any letters in the 1916 list that need expanding?

We don't seem to have very many of H, I, K, M or V but i'm not sure how many there actually were.

I was trying to do all of those for you but PC keeps crashing, here what I managed earlier.

App3801_zps7d26355e.jpg

App3802_zps2e65f141.jpg

App3803_zps73dfe5fd.jpg

App3804_zpsad51a292.jpg

• 2 months later...

Any news on Forms 'Z'...? There must have been a 'Z 22' as one is noted on a soldier's papers. He was discharged to the Z Reserve, but had claimed for disability. His file is incomplete.

Daggers

Some Z forms:

Z 3 Protection Certificate (Officer) April 1919
Z 9 Nominal Roll of draft or party
Z 10 Dispersal Certificate
Z 11 Protection Certificate
Z 15a Minister of Labour (is unable to recommend) recommends the application of ... for priority release (to O/c Unit)
Z 16 Civil Employment Form (notes any employer prior to enlistment) with tear off slip Z 16a
Z 16a Slip showing intended employer on discharge, partly filled in by Employment Exchange
Z 18 Certificate of employment during War
Z 21 Character
Z 22 Statement of Disability
Z 30 Postcard, Declaration by Soldier on early release to accept immediate important work (e.g. Coal Miner) and transfer to Class W or W (P)
Z 32 Details of Dispersal of Soldier plus Dispersal Draft
Z 39 Instructions to Soldiers on leave in the UK from Overseas who apply for release
Z 44 Voucher for suit of plain clothes, or 52 shillings 6 pence in lieu, for soldiers not remaining with the colours
Z 50 Greatcoat return certificate
Z 53 Envelope/Cover for Certificates and Other Documents of a Soldier on Demobilization, Transfer to the Reserve or Discharge
Z 54 Postcard: Notification to Record Office of Change of Address
Z 55 Particulars of a claim made on Army Form Z 22, Ministry of Pensions double sided, folding card
Z 68 Form A, signed if wishing to be demobilized at the expiration of 2 months Released Prisoner of War leave or furlough
Z 69 Receipt to accompany Documents and Z 22
Z 106 Protection Certificate (Officer - Repatriated Overseas)
Z 301 Special Instructions to Rejoin
Z 500 Unit Register Card (A.G.Z 500 France)
Z 800 Clothing slip to be attached to dispersal certificate

• 4 months later...

Just found a new one to add

A. F. W. 3334 NOTIFICATION OF SUPPLIES LOST THROUGH EXIGENCIES OF ACTIVE SERVICE

Ok will add.

Also the one that came up in a thread about a Lance Corporal falsifying documents was AF W3079 Assessment of Military Conduct and Character Form

Updated Z forms (still plenty to find, I think)

Z – DEMOBILIZATION

Army Form Z 1 Dispersal certificate - Officer

Army Form Z 3 Protection Certificate - Officer

Army Form Z 6 Nominal Roll of men who claim Entitlement to Free Passage to a Foreign Country

Army Form Z 7 Claim for Repatriation to an Overseas British Possession or a Foreign Country

Army Form Z 9 Nominal Roll (all ranks)

Army Form Z 10 Dispersal Certificate

Army Form Z 11 Protection Certificate & Certificate of Identity

Army Form Z 12 Protection Certificate

Army Form Z 15 Re-Employment of Former Officers

Army Form Z 15a Minister of Labour unable/recommends the application of man for priority release

Army Form Z 16 Release Slip

Army Form Z 16A Promise of Employment after Demobilization

Army Form Z 18 Certificate of Employment During the War

Army Form Z 21 Demobilization /Transfer to Reserve Certificate

Army Form Z21A Notice to Warrant Officers, NCOs and Men Re: 1914 and 1914/15 Star

Army Form Z 22 Statement as to Disability

Army Form Z 26 Dispersal Certificate Nursing Service/ QMAAC/GSVAD

Army Form Z 28 Dispersal return Nursing Service/ QMAAC/GSVAD

Army Form Z 30 Declaration by Soldier on early release to accept immediate important work transfer to Class W

Army Form Z 32 Details of Dispersal of Soldier plus Dispersal Draft

Army Form Z 39 Instructions to Soldiers on leave in the UK from Overseas who apply for release

Army Form Z 41 Allowance Certificate - Officer

Army Form Z 42 Clearance Certificate for Officers of British Army of the Rhine

Army Form Z 42A Clearance Certificate - Officer

Army Form Z 44 Plain Clothes Form

Army Form Z 45 Application for Deferred Passage

Army Form Z 50 Returned Great Coat

Army Form Z 53 Cover of Certificate and other Documents of Soldiers on Demobilization

Army Form Z 54 Notification to Record Office of Change of Address

Army Form Z 55 Particulars of Claim made on Army Form Z 22

Army Form Z 56 War Office Special Release Form

Army Form Z 68 Form A, signed if wishing to be demobilized at the expiration of 2 furlough

Army Form Z 69 Receipt to Accompany Documents and Army Form Z 22

Army Form Z 70 Demobilization Leaflet for Soldiers

Army Form Z 106 Protection Certificate (Officer - Repatriated Overseas)

Army Form Z 107 Protection Certificate (Soldiers Repatriated Overseas)

Army Form Z 301 Special Instructions to Rejoin

Army Form Z 500 Unit Register Card

Army Form Z 800 Clothing Slip to be attached to Dispersal Certificate