Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. Osborne

Rory Reynolds

I am trying to research a man who served aboard the above ship from 1916 until 1919 but without much success.

I've downloaded his records but can find very little about the Osborne. So he's not the problem the ship is!

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Rory

do you know if the Osborne Naval College [and staff, or indeed cadets] were rated as as HMS?? a Navy List of the periods would be the place to look. I have a feeling there may be some example accessible Online. I happen to have a copy of the Osborne Naval College Magazine from 1914-1917 if this looks possibility; but this may be quite unrelated to HMS Osborne. I dont have a Navy List pre-1933 when HMS 'Brittannia' [previously 'Osborne'] is the steam launch attached to R N College Dartmouth

There is a rather fine photograph of HMS Racer [and a rather awful poem] in the Osborne Magazine Easter 1916 which may relate to Racer's replacement.. Rory, if you have a name for this man he might just appear in one the staff/cadet? lists in the magazine??

Thanks for all the input chaps.

The mans names were Christopher Edmonson Sammons and he was an E.R.A. 4.

I would be in seventh heaven if he was featured in a magazine.

Regards

Rory

• 8 years later...
On 27/10/2013 at 22:59, battiscombe said:

There is a rather fine photograph of HMS Racer [and a rather awful poem] in the Osborne Magazine Easter 1916 which may relate to Racer's replacement.. Rory, if you have a name for this man he might just appear in one the staff/cadet? lists in the magazine??

Opening up an old post here but if you do have any magazines about the college from this Period it would be nice to know of there is any mention of my Great grandfather who was  the Royal Marine Colour Sgt Gym Instructor George Dallison/ Dalison.

I am afraid i cant spot any mention of Gym staff in the wartime Osborne magazines I have [mainly 1915-1917]. There are occasional reports on competition winners amongst cadets and indeed a few photos of gym/athletic events but none with training staff as far as I can see..

13 hours ago, battiscombe said:

I am afraid i cant spot any mention of Gym staff in the wartime Osborne magazines I have [mainly 1915-1917]. There are occasional reports on competition winners amongst cadets and indeed a few photos of gym/athletic events but none with training staff as far as I can see..

Well thank you for taking a peek,  I know from research that he was  posted to Osborne naval college and is listed as ships personnel on HMS Racer certainly during the period that  Edward VIII and George VI where both there,  he was RMLI and was billeted at Grange cottage.

Looking again in the volumes I happened to notice a cartoon attributed to a Cadet Dalison... who appears to have been J.S. Dalison, who is listed as joining St Vincents term - which was December 1915..  who left for Dartmouth Easter 1917..  No connection I suppose?

40 minutes ago, battiscombe said:

Looking again in the volumes I happened to notice a cartoon attributed to a Cadet Dalison... who appears to have been J.S. Dalison, who is listed as joining St Vincents term - which was December 1915..  who left for Dartmouth Easter 1917..  No connection I suppose?

Unfortuanately not, im afraid... but appreciate your time i  and effort, Im hoping to get info from the records at FAA Museum but  have been told to reapply when the curators return to workng from home hopefuly a little more info,,,,