Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Robert Parry Morris and Lt Herbert Parker RGA

m0rris

In memory of my great uncle Capt Robert Parry Morris and Lt Herbert Parker who were killed by a shell 27th October 1917.

Serving with the Carnarvonshire Heavy Battery, they had been making their way to a battery position near Zillebeke. Morris was buried at Bedford House and Parker at Perth China Wall.

post-87057-0-53109300-1382865031_thumb.j

Captain Morris and Lt Parker - Remembered with pride today.

Zillebeke - the "Gunners' Hell".

Maricourt

• 8 months later...

Hello

I believe that Herbert Parker was my great uncle. I have done some research a few years ago and discovered he was a Londoner, having joined the RGA in 1901. I have visited his grave in China Wall cemetery several times and knew about the 1st Welsh Heavy Battery having visited the battery position at Zillebeke. I was also aware that he died the same night as Capt. Morris. However, have you any further information concerning the nature of their deaths?

Many thanks

Robert Parker

Hello

I believe that Herbert Parker was my great uncle. I have done some research a few years ago and discovered he was a Londoner, having joined the RGA in 1901. I have visited his grave in China Wall cemetery several times and knew about the 1st Welsh Heavy Battery having visited the battery position at Zillebeke. I was also aware that he died the same night as Capt. Morris. However, have you any further information concerning the nature of their deaths?

Many thanks

Robert Parker

Hello Robert

This is fascinating. I'd be very interested to swap notes. Having known that they were killed by the same shell while on their way up the line to relieve the 23rd Heavy Battery, I've just recently had it confirmed that they died along "Manor Road", which is Blauwepoortstrat, Zillebeke. I have a very moving account, kindly given to me by a forum member, detailing the events leading up to their deaths, which I can share with you.

http://www.wwwmp.co.uk/carmarthenshire/newcastle-emlyn-bethel-chapel/

As you're a new member, I'm unable to contact you via the Personal Message service, so you will need to make one or two more posts before that can happen. Maybe responding to this will do the trick.

Best wishes

Will

Hello Will

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have only joined recently when your information came up on a Google search.

Some years ago I engaged a professional researcher to investigate Herbert Parker's service history on my behalf. A Londoner, he joined the RGA in London, aged 18 on 22.1.1901 having claimed previous service in 1st. City of London Artillery Volunteers. He seems to have had a chequered early career, being posted to Aden and then India, rising to Bdr. only to be reverted to Gunner in Bombay 5.12.1905 for "Improper Conduct towards the Garrison Provost Corpl !"

He also saw service at Tsing-Tau in China before retuning to Hong Kong 24.9.15 and Home 3.11.15.

Posted to 80 Siege Battery 15.11.15. To France 19.4.16. Commissioned in the field 2.9.16 and posted to 1/1st Welsh Heavy Battery, the rest you know. I didn't know the information in your message so thanks for that, I'll have a look on the map.

I have been to Ypres many times (it's a great town) and Zillebeke but on one occasion with the help of a researcher from the Peace Museum and my grandson (he's more willing to climb over fences than my wife) we identified the battery position from the trench maps. I expect you have been there before me and know Zillebeke Lake well, it's still atmospheric isn't it?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again for the info.

Best wishes

Bob

Hello Bob

Great to hear from you and to hear your excellent research on Herbert.

I'm still unable to get a Personal Message through to you, so hopefully by adding a simple to reply to this you will have made the necessary number of posts (3 maybe?) to allow that to happen.

I was out there a few weeks ago, following his (and his brother's) progress from the Somme to Ypres. Standing in a field while reading memoirs of what happened all around was powerful stuff indeed.

Best wishes

Will

Hello Bob

It's still not working. I'll have a look round and see what's (not) happening.

Best wishes

Will

Hello Bob

The good chaps at Admin have moved this post to the "Soldiers" section area where your posts will add up to reach the required amount to enable you to PM. If you can add a reply or two we could be there!

Will

Thank you again Will, it's all a bit of a mystery to me but I hope you can sort it out !

Bob

Good of you to go to all this trouble

Bob

Hello Bob

We've made it! I wasn't going to give up on them that easily.

Look out for the PM - top right of page.

Will

• 10 months later...

hello Bob.

Just noticed the post regarding Herbert Parker. I have been carrying out research on him along with other members of the battery. Do you by any chance have a photograph of your great uncle?

regards

David

hello Bob.

Just noticed the post regarding Herbert Parker. I have been carrying out research on him along with other members of the battery. Do you by any chance have a photograph of your great uncle?

regards

David

Hello David

Excuse me for jumping in here. I've been in contact with Bob for some time now and the only possible picture is this one:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215106&hl=

Having seen his measurements from his records, there's a good chance that Herbert is the smaller chap at the back - altho' sadly cannot be confirmed.

The purpose of posting the photo was work out whether this is him by narrowing down possible dates matched against a list of serving officers.

Will