Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Reg. Pte Thomas Walsh KIA 04Nov1918

Guest edjones

My great uncle Thomas Walsh, born City of Cork, 1888, enlisted in 5th Batt., Royal Irish Reg., Abertillery, Mon. Reg No. 10500

Killed in action 04 Nov 1918, CWGC informs he is buried at Cross Roads Cemetery, Fontaine-au-Bois. It further mentions 16 men who fell on 4th and 5th November 1918 who were transferred from Eth British Cemetery on the road to Wargnies-le-Grand these being members of the 19th Div (Pioneer). Is anyone able to say whether Thomas would have been amongst these men based on this sparse information?

Grateful for any help anyone may offer, Ed Jones.

WALSH, THOMAS. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 5th Battalion. Date of Death:04/11/1918. Service No:10500. Born in Cork. Enlisted in Abertillery, Monmouthshire while living in Cork. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Mrs Hannah Walsh, of 33, Mount Pleasant, Merthy Vale, Glamorganshire. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. A. 41. Cemetery: Cross Roads Cemetery, Fontaine-Au-Bois in France.

Ed. The CWGC will be able to tell you who these 16 men were, they have the location sites of the original burials. In my opinion I would say that your gt uncle was one of them. Ralph.

There are 7 men of the Royal Irish Regiment buried in Cross Roads Cemetery. All were 5th Battalion and all were killed on 4th November. A further 188 men who died that day are buried there.

Battle of the Sambre? Second Battle of Guise?

I'm not sue 5th Battalion were part of 19th Division. Looking at the Long, Long Trail, they were part of 50th (Northumbrian) Division as a Pioneer Battalion from 14th July 1918.

http://www.1914-1918.net/50div.htm

Sandie

Thank you both for your help.

@museumtom: that's new biographical info that he enlisted at Abertillery while in Cork. I know he was a miner living in South Wales According to 1911 Wales census.

@ rjaydee: I didn't think of looking into the original burial info.

Ed.

Sandie, thanks, I will.

Check out the Long, Long Trail. The men who were moved for reburial were 19th Division. I think your relative was with 50th Division.

I'm no expert, hopefully one will be along shortly to help you.

Sandie