Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 3/3819 Frank Devlin - 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers Query

tullybrone

Hi,

Just wondering if any members could help with a query re my great uncle Pte 3/3819 Frank Devlin – KIA with X Company, 1st NF 14.7.1916, aged 18 years.

I have put a couple of messages on the forum over the past couple of years as I have gleaned information from various sources.

With the help of forum members I have confirmed that –

1. He enlisted Special Reserve NF in May 1914 aged 16 years (near service number shown on SWB list).
  2. He was wounded at Ypres February 1915 as per a newspaper article and St Georges Gazette.
  3. His MIC says he first entered France 29.6.1915 – an obvious clerical error.
  4. He was serving with X Company 1st NF October 1915 as per newspaper article.

Until now I assumed that he was sent out to 1st NF (on the basis he served in that Battalion 1915/1916) as a replacement sometime between Dec 1914-Feb 1915 (many contemporaries with similar Special Reserve numbers show date of arrival in France during that period).

However as his unit is shown as 2nd NF in his (undated) soldiers will that I received last week I am now assuming he went to France with that Battalion on their embarkation in January 1915.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can confirm that assumption?

For instance –

1. Is there any material showing how many Special Reservists were posted to 2nd NF on their return from India in December 1914 to bring them up to strength?

2. Is there a nominal roll in existence for 2nd NF at embarkation to France?

3. Bearing in mind the clerical error on the MIC is there any point in checking the 1914/15 Star roll at Kew? Is it also likely to have 29 June 1915 as date of first entry to France? I think that is the date he returned to France as a reinforcement to 1st NF on recovery from wounds sustained with 2nd NF in February 1915 so presume that 1st NF will be the only overseas battalion shown on the medal roll?

I would appreciate that any help or advice on a way forward.

Thanks

Steve Y

Hi,

Not worth checking the 14/15 Star roll it doesn't show battalion just date, however the attached War and Victory roll does confirm he was with 2/NF before joining 1/NF.

regards

John

post-27843-0-46814300-1382784989_thumb.j

Hi John,

Thanks very much for that speedy reply. I am now more confident he was an original 2nd NF on embarkation.

If you, or Graham, are still maintaining a NF database then please feel free to add the address 13 Clayton Street, Bedlington Station, Northumberland, as shown in the will, for both Frank and his elder brother Peter Devlin Pte 20/531 1st TS KIA 1.7.1916.

I also got the will of their brother in law Pte 27/1048 Richard Keogh, my avatar, dated 19th March 1917 just before he was KIA 9.4.1917 with 2nd TI. He gives his wife's address 109 Bowthorne Rd, Cleator Moor, Cumberland - same as recorded in your Tyneside Irish book.

Regards

Steve Y

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can confirm that assumption?

For instance –

1. Is there any material showing how many Special Reservists were posted to 2nd NF on their return from India in December 1914 to bring them up to strength?

2. Is there a nominal roll in existence for 2nd NF at embarkation to France?

3. Bearing in mind the clerical error on the MIC is there any point in checking the 1914/15 Star roll at Kew? Is it also likely to have 29 June 1915 as date of first entry to France? I think that is the date he returned to France as a reinforcement to 1st NF on recovery from wounds sustained with 2nd NF in February 1915 so presume that 1st NF will be the only overseas battalion shown on the medal roll?

I would appreciate that any help or advice on a way forward.

Thanks

Steve Y

1. Any entries of reinforcements may be in the Battalion War Diary

2. There would have been, but after the Armistice it's known that many documents were destroyed by Battalions before returning to the U.K.. However you may get lucky and a Nominal Roll may have survived.

3. Possibly - sadly as John states we're sometimes stuck when we're looking at dates. Had his Records survived then all of the information would have been in there.

P.S.

You'll have to change your heading title as his number is 3/8319 and not 3/3819.

Thanks Graham.

I hadnt spotted the typo in the title. I havent got the IT knowledge to amend it but I'm sure a member will tell me what to do.

Steve Y