Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pioneer Battalion Machine Gun Sections

Richard Fisher

Does anyone know when the change to the armament of Pioneer Battalion Machine Gun Sections took place?

I have war establishments (from Becke) that show the MG Section equipped with 4 Vickers but those, understandably, stop in 1916 (with the formation of the MG Companies I assume); however, I'm interested in knowing whether there was a G.R.O. or other official instruction confirming the change to Lewis Guns.

Thanks,

Richard

Hello Richard

What happened in 1916, in both ordinary infantry battalions and pioneer battalions, was that the machine-gun sections, equipped with Vickers, were withdrawn entirely from battalions and formed into brigade machine-gun companies of the MGC. Battalions received Lewis guns in exchange but these were distributed among the companies, not given to a separate machine-gun section.

The change is recorded in Amendment no. 351 to War Establishments Part VII dated 18 Sept 1916, but I think this records a decision already made and implemented before that date - probably in spring, advance of the preparations for the Somme. A lot of changes were made around May 1916, particularly to the artillery.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for replying. I completely understand the migration of Inf Bn MG Sections into the Bde MG Coys. This will have created the four Sections of each MG Company; however, where a Pioneer Bn was already part of the Division, I can't establish they retained a separate MG Section alongside the Bde MG Coy or whether the replacement with Lewis guns was simultaneous.

I can only assume, at this stage, that it was simultaneous and the Vickers MG-trained personnel of the Pioneer Bn would have also been transferred (possibly as spare men and guns) across the MG Companies of the Division or re-trained on Lewis guns and reabsorbed into the wider Bn.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

My relative landed in France in November 1914 as the L/Cpl of the 8th Royal Scots Maxim Gun Section(per pre-leaving Newspaper photo), was quickly promoted to Cpl(per his 1914 Star) and by November 1915 had attained the rank of Sgt(Christmas Card/photo)

The Battalion became a Pioneer Battalion in 1915.

His 1917 leave photo( displays both his Pioneer and MG qualifications. His 1917 Christmas Card identifies him as being a member of the 8th Royal Scots(Pioneers) and per the War Diary(September 1917) he received movement orders addressed to him as the "N.C.O. i/c Lewis Guns"(subsequent movement orders identify him by name)

Whether it was usual for trained MG N.C.O's to remain with their parent(Pioneer) Battalions during the change from Maxim to Lewis I do not know.

George