Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AEF 29th Inf. Rifle Question

Guest mcwoolford

Guest mcwoolford

I am hoping someone here can help me determine what type of rifle would have been carried by my great grandfather in 1918.

He was a machine gunner and member of the Maryland National Guard; AEF, 29th Infantry, 110th Machine Gun Battalion with the French XVII at the Meuse - Argonne. My father recalls him talking of a small French rifle he was issued. Evidently, he tried to bring it back with him, but was not allowed. We believe it would have been a Berthier, but we are not sure which model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In fact, any links to information regarding 29th Infantry or the 110th in WWI would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Statistically a member of the 29th Division would probably have been issued with a Rifle, .30cal Model 1917 (A US M1917 "Enfield")

post-14525-0-37676500-1382745567_thumb.j

But he may of course have been issued with the M1903 Springfield

post-14525-0-19145800-1382745601_thumb.j

If he was issued with a French Berthier it would probably (at that point in the war) have been a Mlle 1916 carbine. (these are not exactly to scale!)

post-14525-0-80393600-1382745566_thumb.j

Other than AFS camion drivers and A.American troops actually serving with the French I have not heard of US soldiers being issued with Berthiers (one would have thought mixing calibres 8mm Lebel and .30.06" would have been a problem)

I will look through my stuff and see what I can come up with for you though

There must be some 29th Div images out there that will show.

Chris

EDIT: THIS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST

And more so THIS BOOK TOO (AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD)

a quick scan suggests that the 29th (as part of their training) did go into the line with French units - this would seem to make the issue of French weapons in this instance more plausible.

Edited by 4thGordons