Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

charles miller

Pabloabadul 1

Hello,

I wanted to see if I could research a Charles Julius Muller who was born in Liverpool in 1897. The name may be slightly different on the medal card as the surname may have changed to Miller and the middle name Julius may have been left out? The only information I have is he got shellshock at the battle of the Somme and relatives say later he used to shake violently 10s of years after the incident. I was thinking whether it would be worth a punt to try and get his pension card the ones that are currently held by western front association as I know he had some disability

thanks

cameron

There's a Charles Muller, numbers 53374 and G/44376, Manchester Regiment and Middlesex Regiment on the MIC.

Also a Charles Muller 9th HS Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, A/L.Cpl, G93569, enlisted 4.10.14, discharged 15.10.1919. Married Eileen 6.5.1917. She died March 1919. Seems to have had a child1.2.1919.Was granted some pension until 20.1.1920, then 36 weeks' final allowance in Dec 1919, constitutional disabilities, less than 20%,defective teeth and feet.

Could this one be him?

it is very possible but I`m not sure that he married or had children I`ll need to check with extended relatives. Are there any other ones that stick out with him being from Liverpool and having disabilities from the battle of the Somme.

thanks

I have a picture of him from a merchant navy registration card in 1920 it might give up some clues

There's a Charles J Muller marriage to a Florence Downey, June quarter 1917, Edmonton Middlesex, Vol 3a, page 1128. Correction - the child was Eileen,not the wife, b. 1.2.1919. Eileen F D Miller in the birth record, mother Downey. Death record for mother tallies with discharge docs.